Gloworm swift flow pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy's,

First post and a novice, so please be gentle!

I've had a problem with the pressure bleeding from my system, with many of the symptoms pointing to recharging the Expansion Vessel. I've followed the steps outlined in the Boiler FAQ above, but have a couple of queries.

Having released the pressure and pumped up the EV, the pressure guage rises as well. Do you need to keep releasing this pressure until the EV pressure reads 10 psi and the boiler guage reads 0 bar?

I've just pumped the EV up and accepted this pressure rise without releasing it. Would this account for the 1 bar rise in pressure when I fired the boiler up again (1.0 bar to 2.0 bar, I believe this should be no more than 1.5 bar)?

Many Thanks for your time and patience, TT

Sponsored Links
Having released the pressure and pumped up the EV, the pressure guage rises as well. Do you need to keep releasing this pressure until the EV pressure reads 10 psi and the boiler guage reads 0 bar?

yes the system should be open to atmosphere :idea:

I've done that 5 or 6 times, and each time I repressurize the EV, the pressure guage goes up to about 0.4 bar. Relieve the pressure, pump up EV again, same thing happens.

Do I keep doing it until it stops, or should it only take 2 or 3 times to do it?

Sponsored Links
If it was full of water, you have to displace all of that water, from the system side, by your pumping up the air in the vessel. That's a whole bucket of water!

Thought may be the case, but I'm very much a novice at this sort of thing and really appreciate any advice. Thank you

I said I was a novice at this thing!! :oops:

Having just re-read the FAQ (to the very end and not only half way), I think I may have been extremely fortunate. I used the PRV (with the red cap) to relieve the pressure in the system as I pumped up the EV, but it would appear that it is still doing it's job and not leaking. Phew!

My question is, how do you relieve the pressure properly? I have several drain taps on the downstairs radiators, but would have thought that would just drain the entire system under gravity, or will it just drain until the pressure drops to 0?

Thanks again, and I promise to read it properly next time!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back