Glowworm 30 cxi kettling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently had a plumber come round as my combo boiler is not giving out hot water. It heats up and then goes luke warm and then cold. Radiators are fine. He charged me £220 to replace the plate to plate heat exchanger, but it didn't resolve the issue. He said it normally would have.

He advised to get a magna clean and fit it myself because the main heat exchanger was also kettling, and although he had swapped the plate to plate one which was full of crud the main one would be too expensive to do (in his word's) , and putting in a magna clean with some fernox should resolve it.

He said if it didn't work after a few months then to get a power flush. I was advised this would be the most cost effective route.

Any ideas, comments before I go and splash out on a magna clean.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The primary heat exchanger on your boiler can't be successfully powerflushed due to its design. You could try putting some boiler noise silencer chemical into the system but ultimately it's going to need replacing if the heat exchanger is blocked. A Magnaclean won't improve your situation, it'll just stop it getting worse, but it's advisable to have one to protect new equipment

Thanx, so basically an expensive repair and no fix. perhaps it's time for a new boiler in that case. Is 9 years a typical life of ogle of these boilers?

It depends how well you look after them. If they're fitted to a dirty system where muck can enter and block the heat exchanger, 9 years is a good innings. If they're fitted to a clean system with the correct water treatment, and are serviced regularly, they'll last much longer.

Sponsored Links
Thanx, so basically an expensive repair and no fix. perhaps it's time for a new boiler in that case. Is 9 years a typical life of ogle of these boilers?
9 years is probably average,,the boilers are a pile of crap on day 1..get rid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back