Glowworm 30cxi F1 error + fault checks help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boiler failed this morning mid shower on misses and littlen, perfect timing!

Got home tonight to find F1 error:
Gloworm 30cxi
Book says:

Insufficient Gas - Gas pressure fine, and transco man tests pressure ok.
Insufficient gas valve adjustment - err..
Electrode lead defective - no i hear ticking of electrode
Ignitor defective - no it's ticking like a bastard and a big blue spark (so im told)

you can hear the Electrode ticking away, so spark is there, and there's a 22v dc supply kicking to solenoid on gas valve when the fan spins up and electrode fires. (so ive been told by a competent person)
So im led to believe it's a faulty gas valve, as there is no pilot light, im a bit puzzled how a gas valve fails whilst open (serving hot water at the time).

Worst time to fail, anyway do i sound correct in my assumptions. Going to call a qualified fitter tomorrow, just want to ensure he is supplied with the best possible detail as to stop him turning up and saying, oh it's the twin turbo plenum chamber causing a backdraft on your venturis!!!

Sponsored Links
It certainly sounds like the gas valve - but of course the fan is responsible for extracting the gas and mixing it with air (on a premix burner like the one on your boiler).

So indeed you do need a competent gas engineer to diagnose properly.

Allan

thanks Allan, incidentally, there's been alot of building work in the house over the last year, there isn't per chance a dust filter on the inlet?

Sponsored Links
I am surprised your competent person was not competent enough to advise what might be wrong.

Unless the solenoid of the gas valve was failed I would not jump to any conclusions about the gas valve. You could measure the resistance if you are able to. Few gas valve operator solenoids work on 22v though.

Any further work would need a good engineer, particularly one able to diagnose faults rather then blindly changing parts.

Tony

to stop him turning up and saying, oh it's the twin turbo plenum chamber causing a backdraft on your venturis!!!

Not unless he's looking at your V8 SD1, which should be parked in the garage!

:LOL: ah i wondered who might pick up on that :) Great engine, shame about the rest of it!! (well i put mine in a Manta A series)

Anyway 'competent' person has electrical and mechanical knowledge but isn't a boiler expert, hence why he hasn't taken the gas valve off himself to check solenoid actuation. Also isn't familiar with what actually fails on the valve, solenoid/or integral part and due to it being highly illegal to tamper with boilers, and not having a replacement gasket plus adequate testing equipment/knowledge to refit with confidence!

Proper qualified engineer on his way in half hour apparently, so hopefully all will be revealed!

thanks again to all as usual for your helpful input

Proper qualified engineer on his way in half hour apparently, so hopefully all will be revealed!

Well he has had over two hours to diagnose the fault now!

Hopefully he is not still scratching his head!

Tony

to stop him turning up and saying, oh it's the twin turbo plenum chamber causing a backdraft on your venturis!!!

Not unless he's looking at your V8 SD1, which should be parked in the garage!

:LOL: ah i wondered who might pick up on that :) Great engine, shame about the rest of it!! (well i put mine in a Manta A series)

Alas I could only stretch to the 2600SE. :( Nice drive when working. Unlike V8, you didn't even get a great engine!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back