Glowworm 30cxi water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to continued problems I have had between glowworm and the installer, the outcome basically meant that we didnt have any hot water!
The previous engineer who visited showed me how to clean the Heat Exchanger as this seems to be the problem!
Having done this myself a third time, i sprung a leak from a plastic insert inside the boiler that hadn't been screwed all the way in by the installer.
I tightened it and the boiler has been running fine, except the water pressure has increased from .08/1.0bar to 1.5/2.2bar.
Is this increase in pressure safe or is it too high?
Should the plastic insert be screwed all the way into the metal thread? If so how do you stop the water spurting out?
As i say i have had to attend the boiler myself because whilst the installer/glowworm are arguing the toss, we had no hot water/heating!!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Cold pressure setting should be 1.0 bar ( I set em to 1.2 usually). As the system heats up the water in it expands, and the pressure rises to the sort of figures you are seeing 1.5 to 2 bar. as long is it goes no higher there is no problem. It will drop again as it cools. Some faults will cause pressure to rise to 3 bar at which point boiler pressure relief valve PRV lets the pressure off, also if you overfill boiler. Keep it in the ranges mentioned if you can, and don't forget to turn filling loop off when you have re-pressured. If it loses pressure and locks out with red flashing light, then you have a leak in the system somwhere.

Can't tell which thread you are talking about..describe it better please, colour/location/orientation in the boiler & what its connected to.

Alfredo

Thanks for your reply Alfredo. The plastic connector i mentioned is a black plastic elbow with a thread on one end. The threaded end screws into the Reduced Pressure Zone Valve and the other end clips onto the filling loop tube.
As i said, the last time i re-pressurised the sytem, water spurted from the thread end even though it must have been okay before. I took it off and screwed it tight up against the Reduced Pressure Zone Valve which stopped the leak! Though as i say the pressure has increased.
It is situated at the bottom left corner of the above boiler.

Sponsored Links
Oddly enough my first job this AM was dealing with exactly this..leaking elbow going into the water inlet Pressure Reducing Valve on a 30ci..but same set up. Loads of them leak. I cured mine by just screwing it in an extra turn, but it doesn't always work, Using PTFE tape tends not to work either, so if your extra turn does not work i think its a replacement..which glow worm should provide for free..its a known weakness. Anyhow..from what you say you have cured this. Don't forget to turn off the blue filling loop tap at 1.0bar (we find them full on now and again as people get their clockwise/anticlockwise mixed up when working in a vertical plane)

Incidentally the brass fitting underneath the PRV drips a bit when you repressurise...Its normal, so you can ignore it (so it says in the manual)...but we get panic leak calls about them too.

Anything else?

Alfredo

Careful if replacing, there are two different RPZ/"Interrupter" valves on those. GW certaninly didn't send ME a free one! Having bought the wrong one, I somehow got the original to stop leaking...

Thank you guys.

Alfredo you're a star. Good to know not all plumbers are just in it for the money!

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back