Glowworm boiler clicking noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a long-running problem noise with my Glowworm Ultimate 2 boiler. The warranty guys have tried & failed to fix it several times, so I thought I'd try my luck here.

The current problem: a series of clicking noises (usually about 5 or 6) occur at a specific time, i.e. after the temperature has surpassed 80 degrees & the whirring noise has just stopped. You hear them on the video https://vid.me/31Wa at 00:20 00:24 00:30 and 00:35. They appear to be expansion/contraction of some components - maybe screws? - but I can't visually pinpoint a cause. (If forced to guess, I'd say they emanate from the top-left of the boiler where the whirring noise also comes from.).

The historic problem: I've endured a series of clicking noises since having the boiler installed last summer. At one point they were much louder and occurred every 15min or so; another time it was a series of light clicks in rapidfire succession. In total four repairs were attempted. After various copper slips failed to solve the problem, the engineer replaced my entire Heater Exchange. He guaranteed that would fix the problem & indeed it did... but two months later the noises are back :O (Incidentally, they resumed after I'd been on holiday and set the boiler to holiday mode, just 12 degrees. Not sure if that's relevant?)

Unfortunately because my flat is a converted 2bed the boiler is in one of the bedrooms, and the noise is driving me insane! If I'm right to think it's caused by screws, would heat sink threads solve the problem? Which specific screws (or other parts) are the likely culprits? Alternatively, is a workaround solution possible - maybe I could change the settings to stop the temperature ever surpassing 80 degrees?

Finally if it's impossible to diagnose anything from the video, can someone help me understand what I'm seeing in the video just prior to the clicks? Then I can at least explain the problem properly when booking my next appointment with a private engineer.

Am at my wits' end with this so massively appreciate any help!

Cheers,

M

PS One final thing: the boiler was installed as part of a full renovation, which also included new rads. The guys who installed the rads didn't do a great job - he put one on a wonky wall which resulted in a clicking noise (a different sort) as one end of the rad was effectively pulling away from the bracket. We eventually sorted it by reinstalling the bracket with some wood behind it. Bottom line: the boiler may not have been installed neatly. (But I doubt that's the cause, as if it was surely the 2nd heat exchanger replacement would have clicked from day one?)

Sponsored Links
Firstly you cannot do work inside your boiler. You should not have even removed the front cover!

Secondly we are not there and have no idea what is causing the problem.

So as far as I can see the only option you have is to get it repaired eventually under the warranty!

Unless you want to pay a lot of money to someone else.

The point is I've attempted to have it repaired *four times* under the warranty, as I stated. Their attempts at "fixing" the problem have consistently failed, so I really don't have any option but to go private. I'd rather pay to get one working fix than receive umpteen failed fixes for free.

(Btw re taking off the cover my contractor did this & nothing was touched internally. Those two small screws have come off countless times in the past year I'm afraid...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back