Glowworm Economy Plus 50B-nothing working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello first timer needing some advice please.

I had this boiler fitted 8 years ago and it has never given me any trouble.
Sunday morning the water should have come on at 9 am and nothing happened. I turned the heating on to see if that works and found that it only heated up ever so slightly.
The system is gravity fed, with cylinder in the airing cupboard and also a pump, a motorised valve and a digital timer/thermostat.

Can anyone advise please.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for answering gordongas, i just checked the header tank that is fine.

No the boiler is not firing up whether i turn it on to h/w or h/w & c/h. The pilot light remains on but no other action.

Thanks for answering gordongas, i just checked the header tank that is fine.

No the boiler is not firing up whether i turn it on to h/w or h/w & c/h. The pilot light remains on but no other action.

Sponsored Links
sorry i didnt know whether that posted or not and i'm in a bit of a tizz with this. Anyone help please.

NEED IT CHECKING TO SEE IF POWER TO BOILER , IF NOT THEN WHY NOT, IF POWER TO BOILER POSS GAS VALVE/STAT FAULT

Thank you Gordongas, at least now i have some idea when speaking to an engineer. A friend who is not corgi registerd told me that it may be the time programmer, the boiler thermostat or the gas valves or gas valve cradle, is that correct? Thank you for helping, it has been a good boiler up until now!

Pumps are a prime suspect when fuses blow on the heating. Turn the heating OFF, replace the 3A fuse, and try hot water ON only. If it all stops when the heating is turned back ON then change the pump.

Gordongas - you seem to have a problem

If you look at the LHS of your kbd, you'll find a key in the middle called "Caps Lock"

You need to press it

"Pumps are a prime suspect when fuses blow on the heating. Turn the heating OFF, replace the 3A fuse, and try hot water ON only. If it all stops when the heating is turned back ON then change the pump."

I don't believe this

if the pilot is on, then your diagnosos is a bit borked, n'est pas ?

OP - do you hear a click at about 1 second intervals ?

if so, then its a flame sensing problem
if not, it's either the relay on the pcb or the solenoid on the gas valve

you need to establish whether the pcb is sending 230v to the gas valve to find out

No clicking...........! Raden are you saying that i should ignore the previous posting from victor meldrews mate...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back