Glowworm keeps going out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a Glowworm Hideaway 50B boiler and today when the boiler fires up it don't seem to be as fierce as normal, in fact the flames are very subdued. Anyway after a few minutes it all goes out including the pilot. After rebooting it with no trouble the same thing happens but with a slight whistling noise. It seems like not enough gas is getting through. On reading the manual I'm plumping for the Gas control valve being dodgy (now that's coming from a no nothing cabdriver...ME) and I'm probably being paranoid but the big knob you push down & turn seems a bit different from before like its a bit loose and don't seem so springy. (sorry for being so technical... :oops: ).
Any ideas what it could be and if it is the valve which looks very pricey would it be more cost effective to get a new boiler which would be cheaper to run in the long term and make me more greener.
Many thanks Derek.

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though it could be gas valve. This is an easy job for a CORGI to fix. Probably around £150 + VAT.

Yes a new boiler would make you greener and probably around £2000+VAT worse off :rolleyes:

2K, there was me thinking about £800, her who must be obeyed has always said I live in years gone by and I've always called her a silly arse.....2K I better go and lie down for a few hours to get over this. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Sponsored Links
Could you try gently pulling the control knob towards you the next time its lighted and see what effect that has on the flame size ?

It would be a pity to replace the boiler is it was something very simple!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back