Glowworm Ultimate - struggling to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first post on here so hope someone can help me out.

I have a Glowworm Ultimate 80FF boiler. Pretty old now but all seems OK until recently.

Last week the fan packed in. I replaced it with a recon part off ebay but now it has developed a new problem.

The fan now works fine but when first switched on the burner clicks on and off on the air pressure switch. It will burn for a second or two then switch off, then immediately fire back up. It will do this for a good 5 - 10 minutes until eventually it will burn properly.

I have noticed that when it is doing the on/off/on/off thing you can immediately stop the problem and return to normal operation by taking the boiler casing off.

Whilst this is not a pressing emergency as it still heats OK, it is irritating as you can hear it and I am assuming its not good for the boiler in the long run.

Any ideas?

And please, before having a go at me about fixing boilers myself and running a boiler with the casing off etc, be assured I am well aware that I should just get someone in but to be honest I just cant afford it.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Sponsored Links
And please, before having a go at me about fixing boilers myself and running a boiler with the casing off etc, be assured I am well aware that I should just get someone in but to be honest I just cant afford it.

So it's only unsafe advice you're after then.

Sponsored Links
I will give you a second clue! A gas reg engineer!

He is able to diagnose the fault and fix it.

If only you properly followed up your desire to get advice you would have read the forum rules here first! Then you would have seen that we are not allowed to give DIY advice on gas/combustion. Just to help they are even listed in red!

If those repaired parts were any good then the boiler manufacturers would all be using them! Luckily they all use new ones!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back