going from positive to negative head shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Stuart Turner 3 bar twin pump located in the base of the airing cupboard that has been providing faithful service to an over bath shower and the basin tap for 10 years. The only downside is that the basin tap is plumbed through the pump and it's annoying to have the pump run in the evenings or at night when someone's washing their hands. So what I've done is to put the pump on a timer to only run from 05:30 until 14:00 and that's worked fine so far. Flow through the basin tap is reduced "out of hours" but is still quite sufficient for hand washing. So running the basin tap through the pump was not strictly required but it's too late to change that now.

We would now like to connect the other shower to the pump. I accept that there might be temperature fluctuations when a 2nd shower is turned on and off (we'll deal with that by ensuring only one shower is taken at the same time) and that the hot water cylinder will get drained quicker (plan on going from a 400x1050 to a 450x1200). I am also considering moving the shower pump to the loft as it would simplify the pipework of the 2nd shower and move the noise source away from the living area somewhat. This would require a negative head pump.

My question is this - could I leave the negative head pump on the timer or would basin tap use when the pump was switched off either give poor flow and or/introduce air into the system?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back