Going Green

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nope, not talking about imbibing 10 pints of ale!

Just learnt that Denmark was generating electricity using wind power really early on.

By 1908 there were 72 wind-driven electric generators from 5 kW to 25 kW.

Other countries are way ahead in recycling too.

Certain folk here tried these green approaches to energy production, but it has not caught on. Lord and Lady Armstrong introduced hydro electric to their stately home in their Victorian era.

Wind generated-electricity in Scotland was pronounced the work of the devil and never caught on. The next wind generator was designed decades later in the 50s.

Why are we so behind?

Sponsored Links
We're not really behind* at the moment. We have loads of Offshore Wind. We're a bit behind on Battery storage and we're only middling on Solar.

*behind everyone else that is, we need far more renewables.

electric cars were around in the 1880's

afaik it was english or scotsman who invented / built one ??????

there was an electric car built in in the states and auctioned a while back and that was built in 18??

Sponsored Links
electric cars were around in the 1880's

afaik it was english or scotsman who invented / built one ??????

there was an electric car built in in the states and auctioned a while back and that was built in 18??
I said EV, not electric car! ;)
The Scot, Robert Anderson invented a basic electric carriage in 1832 :)

We off shore our manufacturing to China so we have no control in “going green”

Because it does not pay to be winning this race.
You are in it and not last which is the sensible position.

There must certainly have been be a lot of lobbying from people invested in coal, oil, gas etc over the years.

Wind is an issue - 50 years ago maybe it was not economically viable to plant turbines in the sea.

Hydro of little use for most of the UK, OK in the hillier parts that can build dams.

But we're making improvements.

We're not really behind* at the moment. We have loads of Offshore Wind. We're a bit behind on Battery storage and we're only middling on Solar.

*behind everyone else that is, we need far more renewables.

..and lots more none renewables on standby, for when the renewables produce no output.

Wind is an issue - 50 years ago maybe it was not economically viable to plant turbines in the sea.
This is probably apocryphal, but I remember being told the story (a long time ago!), that the first generation wind turbines used more power to smelt the aluminium to manufacture them, than the generator could produce in a very long time!

This would not be an issue with today's turbines :)

The answer is simple really. We needs loads of cheap green electricity and I do mean loads. Getting it is something of a problem.

The answer is simple really. We needs loads of cheap green electricity and I do mean loads. Getting it is something of a problem.

Nah, it's easy - we all move out of the UK and cover everywhere with windmills and storage. Not much need for it then though..

They had a national grid man pop up on TV who reckoned each EV was the equivalent of putting an extra house on the grid. I thought crazy man until I thought about it. It's an exaggeration but in some cases will be correct. He has a point - big increase in load.

Gas provides s lot of household energy. Electricity. That if people are lucky is a 100amp supply = 24kw. There are plenty of 60 and 80amp supplies around. Having a fuse upgrade doesn't mean that the supply is really up to it. He also said that it all wont be upgraded. Too expensive.

Then up pops what appears to be a gov advisor. Heat pumps are the answer. I may remember incorrectly - 25% of output via electricity needed. There seems to be a problem getting the output people need so insulate houses. She also mentioned having a gas boiler for when it's too cold. Off grid properties got a mention as well. Usually heated by gas or oil. Oil has been considerably cheaper. Pass now.

Radiator style heating has another issue. The temperature of the water passing through them. The lower that is the larger they need to be for the same output. This even figures with condensing gas boilers. New builds probably account for this via insulation to keep sizes down.

Electricity. Conversion to heat is 100% efficient other then getting it to a property.

Who's going to pay for it. A lot of it us directly. That one way or another will happen how ever it's done. ;) Some argue it will need help from the income tax take as lots wont be able to afford it. Helped in that direction by current green taxes that are getting worse and worse of late due to cost increase of gas Some countries went very nuclear a while ago. We didn't - north sea gas and oil so use that instead. I wonder how much electricity is currently produced with gas. We are actually importing some gas via ships.

Never follow the sheep who believe the bull that comes from politicians. Climate change nonsense is only comparing data over a very short time span. Dishonest politicians and activists have hooked enough mugs to get the unthinking panicking and regurgitating the climate 'emergency' balls. The earth's climate has changed many times since it's formation, all before we got here. Not long ago, the Thames used to freeze - now it doesn't. Is this our fault? Why do people always fall hook, line and sinker for the fears that our 'leaders' instill in them? It's only used to keep us down, just as the fear of religion and eternal damnation was used to hook gullibles until quite recently.

Rush into cavity wall insulation that may cause damp and mould problems plus ineffective heat pumps as well as impractical, expensive green milk float cars if you must. Think I'll sit this one out. The planet will be fine.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back