Golf 1.6se 1998

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my golf keeps stalling, the battery is new. the heater is not as efficant as it used to be, and its drinking fuel......could all these problems be down to one thing? or is it just coincidence that they all started in the same week?

Sponsored Links
Worth checking that the air inlet ducting and all related hoses from the air filter housing to engine intake and inlet manifold joints are all secure - often the plastic housing perishes or splits, allowing extra air in, this can cause the symptoms you describe.

My GF was having the same problem and it was the engine management. does a key shaped light flash on the dash??

Sponsored Links
no theres no key shaped light appearing?.....thanks for all the post guys im going to start with the cheapest option > check for air flow problems > then i will replace the thermo > then ill take it to VW for a diagnostic!

If its an automatic 1.6se, with an engine code of AVU then its more than likely the thermostat that is causing the poor heating as for the cutting out the easiest way of diagnosis is by plugging a fault reader in and reading off the fault code. Common causes of cutting out is; dirty throttle housing, faulty engine speed sender, temperature sender, even airmass meter. The thermostat could possible cause it to cut out.

Yep, as above the first thing i would do is get the throttle body cleaned. Also check the throttle cable has some slack as the throttle cable position sensor can be a bugger on these.
Once thats done, the ECU will need resetting. Ideally by a garage with VAG-COM but can be done by disconnecting the battery for half hour or so.

Back