Golf mark 3 TDI estate...Bushes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 99 mark 3TDI estate. They kept the 3 going after they introduced the 4 in hatchback form...I think.
Got new tyres today. With the car up on jacks the guy said that the bushes were shot. They were at the 3 oclock position as you look at the wheel from the side.
Although the car's old it's only got a genuine 48000 miles on it and a full VW service history. I'm the second owner. It drives perfectly. No klonks or bangs and handles like a new car. I've had enough crappy cars to kow the differerence. The MOT's coming up. Just wondering what this is gonna cost me.
Thanks for reading everyone.

Sponsored Links
Are you talking about the rear beam axle bushes here?
VW fitted some for me for £100 quid cash - but I had to bring the axle in to them, naturally.
swine of a job taking it off, too if I remember. It was about 4 years ago.
Get a second opinion if you're unsure about this - its not unheard of for our tyre fitter friends to recommend unnecessary parts....but maybe they're right.
John :)

Thanks for reply. It was front bushes...should have mentioned that.

Front wishbone bushes then?
I usually replace the complete wishbone - easier and quicker than pushing the old bushes out and new ones in. VW's have a separate bottom ball joint - bolted on - which makes the job easier.
Still fairly labour intensive though, but get the wishbones from a motor factor - never the main stealer.
To fail the MOT the bushes have to have movement in them - if they just look a bit moth eaten thats not a problem.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. found your answer very good and helpfull. I'll take it from here and see how we go.

Cheers

Kevin

Got a 99 mark 3TDI estate. They kept the 3 going after they introduced the 4 in hatchback form...I think.
Got new tyres today. With the car up on jacks the guy said that the bushes were shot. They were at the 3 oclock position as you look at the wheel from the side.
Although the car's old it's only got a genuine 48000 miles on it and a full VW service history. I'm the second owner. It drives perfectly. No klonks or bangs and handles like a new car. I've had enough crappy cars to kow the differerence. The MOT's coming up. Just wondering what this is gonna cost me.
Thanks for reading everyone.

Where did you take it for that diagnosis? Please don't say Halfrauds? At 48k and it drives superb, and 'only needs bushes', that cost 10p...I think peoples were telling you lies, to make you spend money with their corporation?

Name and shame....

Hi Mick. Thanks for reply. Are you saying at the miles it's not really likely to need.....I know the name now.....wishbone bushes? It was a tyre company in Dunfermline. Don't wanna diss em as their tyre service is excellent. Maybe these bushes are shot but I expected to be aware of this thru wobbly steering or noises.
Anyway. Test is tomorrow...i'll see what happens.
Cheers
Kev

You can really only check wishbone bushes properly with the car on a ramp, and levering them with a pry bar to check for movement.
You have a choice, if they are worn.
Either replace the bushes in your original wishbone, or buy a complete one which has bushes already in. Most of them come that way.
Its not a job for a tyre company....

Thanks John, appreciate your reply. I'll do that (try to) myself tomorrow morning before I head off.

Kev

Sponsored Links
Back