Good book for DIY electrics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone reccommend a good book for DIY electrics?

Sort of thing I'm looking for is information on home electrics, adding sockets, changing wiring, how different circuits work, etc, basic stuff with diagrams hopefully.

For beginners.

Thankyou.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A good place to start would be to check your installation has a modern consumer unit, plus earthing and bonding up to date.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
YouTube plus a book on the physics of electricity. If you’re good at sorting wheat from chaff and have few hours to spare for searching, this forum!

Blup

I in latter life decided my maths was not good enough, but to take an 'A' level maths course was over £100 but to take three 'A' level courses which included maths, was £20 so I did 'A' level art and Physics as well. I was surprised to find the 'A' level Physics book was wildly inaccurate on electrics, the diagram of how a fluorescent lamp works if followed it would either simply not work or go bang, as they had completely missed out the ballast.

However we would hope the teacher/lecture would point this out. The same happens on these pages within the forum, some one answers a question, then some one reading the answer notes an error and highlights it. But although we hope a book is proof read, it is very easy for errors to be made, and once published it is a bit late to highlight errors. The electrical regulations book has had 18 editions, and loads of amendments and error corrections, but it is not easy reading, one only needs to read this forum to see how people do not agree as to what it meant to say.

And the less complex books, electricians are unlikely to read them. Except maybe for a laugh as so many do get it completely wrong. However there are people who we do regard as being good with their Youtube channels at explaining what is required.
Watch John Ward's videos on youtube, there a good place to start

I would second that, he does come up on these pages, Big Clive is another, and eFIXX yet another. But there are also people who just like to hear their own voice, this video from eFIXX goes over the reasons for having an EICR done they do many more, but it does give a feel of how a good youtube video should be like.

The major problem with DIY is test equipment, a full test kit would include a RCD tester, a loop impedance tester, an insulation resistance tester, and a low ohm meter, plus likely a clamp on ammeter. This is rather expensive, so the DIY person tries to reduce the test equipment, what I realised doing that collage course is how easy people make mistakes when connecting up a multi-meter, so I bought my own son a clamp on meter, as errors are less likely to damage you or the tester, Big Clive does a video on testing multi-meters here and he shows using the meter I use, Testing voltage.jpg which measures AC/DC amps, ohms, volts and non contact volts and costs around £35. The other cheap meter is the insulation resistance meter VC60B.jpgalso £35 but a RCD tester RCD tester.jpgand loop impedance meter get rather expensive. This 1702690507538.jpegplug in tester costs around £43 from toolstation and the like, it does not really read low enough for the British ring final, but a proper loop tester will cost around £250 for cheapest, but even for the bare bones testers we are looking at over a £100, and so most DIY people try to make do with a simple multi-meter and I would say one of these Testing voltage.jpg is a good start.

However what I am pointing out, safe DIY is not cheap, before you go off and buy your first book and start learning, one needs to be aware of the cost. One can hire test sets, however after each hire they need recalibrating so even to hire the cost is likely around £50 for the week.

Law wise, there is very little I can officially do without notifying, and in Wales it was £100 plus vat for first £2000 worth of work, plus if they feel you don't have the skill to inspect and test, they can charge for that on top, so it can cost more to DIY than getting an electrician who is a scheme member in to do it. England is a bit better, but I am sure most work is done illegally, if owner occupier who will find out? But you need to be aware before to lash out on books and equipment.

The Readers Digest DIY handbook used to be quite good, on the basics, as far as it went in the electrical section. Good clear diagrams, and good clear explanations.

Info: Several spammers have been removed
The Readers Digest DIY handbook used to be quite good, on the basics, as far as it went in the electrical section. Good clear diagrams, and good clear explanations.
It was, and maybe still is - but I can't be sure about that, given that my copy iss over 50 years old (and therefore a tad out-of-date, particularly as regards regulations!) ;)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back