Good book to read on electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can you guys recommend a good book to read on electric basics.
I'm not after doing my own rewire or notifiable work. I am just after learning how to wire a light or a socket in a safe manner.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
See the "books" post in For Reference. Sounds like you want one of the DIY guides - Which? if you can find it, or Collins etc. Also look on Amazon for similar, and read customer reviews, but be very careful to look at any photos of the books for the wiring colours and socket/switch etc designs, because Amazon see nothing wrong in selling American books in the UK, despite the fact that, in extremis, people could kill themselves if they get confused by the differences.

I recently bought the Readers Digest - Wiring & Lighting Manual, from the list that B-A-S has suggested. It covers most things for the home user and was last reprinted with ammendments in 2007 so is pretty much current. Lots of coloured illustrations and photo's too.
[edit:] This one book will cover everything that you've asked for in your original post.

Electrical Wiring Domestic by Scaddan Coker and Turner published by Newness is also cheap and has useful info , but no pretty coloured pictures.

Even if you don't do the work yourself , it will help to understand what your local fiendly neighbourhood Electrician is doing for you if you have to call one in.

Sponsored Links
That's a bit more than basic DIY how to wire a socket sort of stuff - in fact it doesn't even cover that - you'll find nothing in it on preparing cables, how lighting circuits are wired etc.

It is an excellent guide to the Wiring Regulations, and for that purpose highly recommended, but as it's March 2008, I'd wait for the 17th Edition one to be published (if it hasn't already been).

That's a bit more than basic DIY how to wire a socket sort of stuff - in fact it doesn't even cover that - you'll find nothing in it on preparing cables, how lighting circuits are wired etc.

It is an excellent guide to the Wiring Regulations, and for that purpose highly recommended, but as it's March 2008, I'd wait for the 17th Edition one to be published (if it hasn't already been).

Thanks for the advice. I am keen on learing how to wire a socket and a light fitting but I'd also like to understand the basis of circuits and how my domestic installation works. I'm not after doing any more than wiring a new light fitting

This morning I was at B&Q and they seem to have no problem in producing leaflets showing how to rewire a CU. I cannot understand why B&Q like to tempt the average DIYer into doing something like that.
Surely the Government should have sorted this sort of thing out before introducing Part P.

Try The Part P Doctor as a good half-way house between a DIY book and a technical guide to the Wiring Regs. But again wait for the 17th version....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back