Good finish for oak panelling, doors etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just had all my hallway redone in oak panelling, architarves and doors. Have got a few snags. Main one are the nail holes from the nail gun used to attach the frames and architraves, where some splitting has occurred near to edges of architraves. The oak panellingis on an mdf base. Is this usual now as old panelling was oak ply?
What can I do to finish this work to look as professional as possible. Is it a diy possibility or sdhould I go for a professional?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
All the wall panelling and the bar shown on this page of my web site was constructed from oak veneered MDF and solid prime european oak finished with precatalyst low sheen high density lacquer.

Nothing wrong in using veneered MDF in my book and is a lot better than using veneered plywood.

You can fill the holes left by the nail gun with coloured wax.

You can give this company a call Smith & Rodger ( AKA woodfinishes1877 ) and ask for Ian McAslan. I have sent Ian a email so he should see your posting.

Sponsored Links
Hi Blondino,

You have a couple of different ranges of coloured wax filler that you can choose from.

Firstly there are Liberon Wax Sticks that are available in 16 different shades and come in 50gm bars (same size as a Mars Bar)

Secondly you could use Konig Softwaxes which come in over 40 shades and come in boxes of 10x8cm sticks. Alternatively mixed boxes are available also.

Both products allow you to rub them into the holes and then wipe of any excess. Obviously the most important thing to achieve is a close colour match. If possible you can send me a sample of the wood and I will do my best to match to the wax fillers.

I hope this helps but please don't hesitate to come back with any questions.

Sorry missed the other part of your email.

If you have access to a spray gun and can isolate the are from overspray then I agree with awbcm, you can't do much better that Precat Lacquer.

However if this is not possible and you need to do it by hand you could try the traditional method of 2 coats of Shellac Sanding Sealer (sanded in between coats to drive the shellac into the pours of the wood) and then using OOOO steelwool apply Superwax Polish and buff off using a clean lint free cloth.

This system will take a while but is well worth the effort and the final result will be stunning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back