Good gloss finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK I have undercoated and primed my woodwork, rubbed down and all is lovely. I will be using an oil based gloss on top of this, applied with a gloss mini-roller. Do you think the gloss will flow-out enough to leave a good finish? I will be applying 2 coats of gloss and gently sanding the first coat with 240 wet-n-dry, probably used dry.

Cheer

EC

Sponsored Links
Well yu've done enough prep and your plan seems good. It rather depends on the quality of your paint now. Make sure it has good "leveling" characteristics. Some manufacturers state this on the can.

I hate glossing! I've just finished seven window frames - three of the sash - and it's like a feudal punishment. Good luck!

Many years ago I used the paint pads by Harris and achieved excellent results on skirting, flat panelled doors etc.
Also a nice fine grade of wire wool will do better than the sandpaper.
A painter I knew years ago said they used to use pummice powder to get a glass like finish on wood and 't'cut afterwards !! I won't swear to this as I never tried it.

Thanks Guys,

I had thought of T-cut, will save that as an option when the paint has fully cured, 2 months maybe. I hate glossing also, next house will be all natural wood !

Sponsored Links
The wire wool and "T"cut worked on a gloss varnish finish mahogany cabinet after 2 days, came up a treat!

As I said before I used the Harris pads, they came with foam and short "hair" pads, the hairy one was a hell of a lot better than the foam for gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back