Good new toilet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I'm refurbishing my house at the moment, and will be fitting a new bathroom downstairs, hopefully quite soon. I am eager to end up with the sort of toilet which flushes effectively, but haven't been able to find any reviews dealing with this particular subject. Which seems a bit off to me, as flushing is the main purpose of a toilet. (The upstairs toilet flushes like a champion, and leaks like something with a dodgy stopcock and surplus overflow holes. It, too, will need to be replaced, unfortunately.)

Does anyone have any recent experience with a new toilet which flushes particularly well? Or any advice about models or brands to avoid?

Thank you very much! Also, happy new year! :)

Sponsored Links
It is not just about the Pan - it also about the cistern and its position.

I am a firm believer in the Geberit frames and a wall hung pan. Makes cleaning the room much easier. As well as a neat finish.

There are cheaper imitations.

My recent new bathroom at home:

And Yes, I did get the tiler to replace the one behind the pan.

And, No, there have been no Colonel Browns lurking, even after a local Balti.

You could go High End like that - Or do what I did , Bog in a Box from Wickes. Seriously one of the best flushes I`ve ever seen :idea: . Rolls Royce or Skoda - take your pick ;)

Like Dan I did our shower room a couple of years ago, again like Dan I fitted a wall hung WC. But I favour Dermit McDee frames & always Roca sanitary ware.

For bog standard stuff, avoid the Wicks/B&Qs of this world. Most is cheap rubbish. Also a lot of High Street/online retailers sell trash at inflated prices.
Go to your local Plumbers' Merchants - if they're an indie even better. Better service & products.
HTH

Sponsored Links
Villiroy Boch would always be the best choice if your budget is extensive. Their porcelain is anti-skid marks & a lovely finish. Mostly manufactured in Italy & sold by the Germans.

The B&Q etc stuff is generally poorly cast & the glazing as rough as a badgers bum. Look at that rubbish with a magnifying glass & it's like the surface of the moon!!!

You need 'Height for sh1te' if you want to get rid of anything stubborn.
If not gloss the end of a bit of roof batten so it's easily wiped clean, then beat the cr4p out of it. (Did you see what I did there?)
All the new stuff is pretty awful due to reduced volumes, so you end up double flushing.

Twyford Galerie Optimise and Kohler Patio are both worth looking at (that's what we have and they both flush number twos on the short flush)

Thank you all very much!

It is very interesting to see some of the suggestions posted here. I hadn't considered raising the cistern, although I'd probably have to adopt a completely different approach to do that. It is good that toilet cisterns are now made to be more eco-friendly, but I do not enjoy having to compromise on flush efficiency.

I shall now commence the shopping process...

Thank you all very much!

It is very interesting to see some of the suggestions posted here. I hadn't considered raising the cistern, although I'd probably have to adopt a completely different approach to do that. It is good that toilet cisterns are now made to be more eco-friendly, but I do not enjoy having to compromise on flush efficiency.

I shall now commence the shopping process...

What 'greenwash' this evo-friendly thing is. All water in the world goes on a cycle, the saving in limiting the water usage is it saves the Water/Sewage companies treating 1000 of gallons of water unessarily. It'll have little or no effect on the very limited global warming that is happening if you use a load of water to deal with your number two.

Actually removed a couple of Ideal Standard loos for a LL, poor things could just not shift the, er proverbial :eek:

Couple of contract toilets in from the merchant, jobs a gooden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back