Toilet waste test required - toilet backing up when flushed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in dispute with a plumber who fitted a new toilet system that keeps blocking or backing up to the rim before the contents are flushed away. Is there a test that every UK toilet should pass to prove whether it's acceptable? For example, should it flush a particular number of toilet paper sheets, or cope with a particular water flow rate without overflowing? Thanks in advance for any ideas you have....

Sponsored Links
Try a technique I often use on the crapper it's called the double flush method ;)
Yes there are guidelines manufacturers stick to when designing a toilet including flushing polystyrene balls

For pan connectors I think the benchmark is that an 80mm sphere should pass unhindered.

If it's filling to the rim then there's something wrong. Usually indicates a blockage in the drain. Does it fill up when flushed after having a Number 1, i.e. liquid only?

Sponsored Links

Is there any chance your new toilet is a syphonic type.

Theses will often fill almost to the rim before emptying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back