Toilet flushing issues - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet isn't blocked, as it still flushes, but only partially.

Even if all I've put in the bowl are a couple of sheets of toilet paper:

- sometimes the toilet looks like it has flushed (ie. the water level doesn't rise and the urine clears) but the toilet paper doesn't get removed
- sometimes the water level in the toilet rises higher than it should (halfway up the bowl) and then clears immediately, but again not everything clears
- takes me three or four flushes to flush even the lightest debris

I went to the local hardware shop and was recommended a particular plunger (for £9!) and having tried it, it's not even wide enough in diameter to cover the whole bottom of the bowl and so cannot create any suction, therefore didn't work.

Wasn't sure if a plunger was even the right option.

Any recommendations? Should I just buy a different plunger that is wider and try that? Or do I need to do anything else?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Get an old style mop and a plastic bag .... wet mop, cover in plastic bag, hey ho, one sh1t shifter.

Get the wellies and rubber gloves on and lots a towels and go for it, just don't break the pan. :sneaky:

Post a photo of plunger.
The best ones are the ones that use water not air to clear the blockage. Make sure you're using it properly. You may have a blockage further down the line and need to check the stack or any inspection pits.

Sponsored Links
Problem may not be in the pan, could be further along the drain run, which will give the effect you describe. Is this an upstairs or ground floor pan?

First floor toilet

This is basically like the plunger I have http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131454107224

Except not wide enough at the bottom to cover the toilet orifice to form a tight seal and obtain suction

Can anyone recommend a different type to get?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
First floor toilet

This is basically like the plunger I have http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/131454107224

Except not wide enough at the bottom to cover the toilet orifice to form a tight seal and obtain suction

Can anyone recommend a different type to get?

It doesn't need a tight seal and you are not really sucking but pushing.
You undo the handle slightly, when immersing the plunger into the bowl water, this allows it to fill with water. When its full/down in the water, tighten the handle back up and then vigorously push and pull the handle up and down - the ebb and flow that this creates will unblock a toilet and some blockages further down.
If it doesn't the blockage is elsewhere!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The base of that particular plunger is too big to fit into the bottom part of the bowl to go into the water.

But too small to create a seal over the top of the bowl to create any suction.

So it's completely ineffective

image.jpeg

Still suspect a problem further down the line, in which case you could plunge the toilet all day and still not shift anything. Think you either need to start looking at the soil pipework leading away from the toilet, and/or the drain that connects to, or call someone in who can look for you.

Yeah I may well have to. I have ordered the plunger suggested above and will give it a go.

I have a plumber coming soon for something else (being paid by the builders who built this new build house) so will ask him to have a look and fork out the money for that particular thing myself.

Oh, its a new build is it? That can open another can of worms, god only knows what they might have done! Went to a property that had been bought as a 'buy to let', but it had stood empty for about 9 months until the first tenant moved in. All was ok for a few days until he took a shower one morning and came down to find his kitchen sink full of water from his shower. Aspired the builders had forgotten to connect the drains....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back