Toilet flushing issues - advice

Haha, well it is a new build - was finished about a year ago. I bought the property about 10 months ago, but have only moved in properly and started using things regularly over the last 3-4 months.

Let me tell you I noticed a LOT of issues with the quality of the work. Leaks in ALL four bathrooms, balcony leaking causing mould and damp in the wall below, all integrated appliances installed, but not turned on at the back, requiring a lot of work to pull them out from their housings where they had been bolted into to turn the switches etc.!

Two more things remaining and hopefully it's going to be (relatively) plain sailing from here...

Sponsored Links
No some local builders. Had a nightmare with them, fingers crossed from here on out!

Sponsored Links
I would get the manhole checked.
If you're lucky, it is just full of builders' spoil and needs jetting, if you're unlucky then the whole stack and sewer run could be wrong :confused:

I would add, if this does turn out to be an issue with the drains, it may be worth getting a local independent drainage company, (avoid the national 'chain' companies), to do a quick once over of the system. Get any problems picked up and dealt with now, (before the builder 'disappears'). Out of everything, drainage is probably the easiest place to hide bodges, and one of the most expensive to put right...

I believe so, but I think you'd need to check the Policy documents and possibly with the NHBC themselves to double check.

Drainage works to pretty simple rules, water flows downhill, and all parts of the drain should be accessible for cleaning should the need arise.

The drain layer needs to achieve a fall (slope) on the drains steep enough to allow the waste to flow away, but not so steep or shallow as the water runs away leaving the solids behind. Amazing though how many manage a 'backfall' i.e. the drain is sloping the wrong way, or put in 'blind' runs where you cannot get access with a jetting unit or rods to clear a problem.... :confused:

Seems like the plunger above has perhaps worked. Seems to be flushing ok today, but will keep an eye on it to see if things change again.

Thanks all for the tips so far!

Hope it's sorted, my upstairs toilet does not flush well, the soil pipe runs uphill to the stack. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back