Toilet not flushing away contents effectively....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive recently had a whole new bathroom fitted and everything is working great except for the toilet. My problem is that the flushing cycle does not effectively flush away the waste. Once i press the full flush button, the water seems to just plonk into the pan at the front and back resulting in the base water just lifting and lowering down to normal level leaving alot of the waste(toilet paper etc) behind. There doesnt seem to be a circular water flushing motion that is the norm with most toilets. Its almost like im just pouring water into the pan and simply using gravity to displace the contents.

I have explained the problem to the supplier and he has sent out a plumber to inspect and replace the pan with an identical model believing that it was simply a faulty model. However, with the replacement i have the exact same problem and i'ts really frustrating. Especially as ive only one toilet in my house and when guests visit its embarrassing to have to warn them every time.

The type of toilet is a TC Express Toilet White Close Coupled WC & Soft Close Seat

http://www.hhbathrooms.com/toilets-160/close-coupled-toilets-181/express-toilet-coupled-15917.htm

Any help would be greatly appreciated regarding suggestions or even my rights as a consumer in how i should deal with this problem as im not satisfied.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you have taken out a 9ltr cistern it is surprising how much of a difference there is between that and the new ones!
That said, you should not have this problem on the full flush. Try calling TC direct on:

01924 868 383
Ask for their technical department.
It sounds to me that something inside the cistern needs adjusting, or is faulty.

Let us know how you get on.

K

Sponsored Links
moving from a 9litre to a 6 litre flush is the likely cause. I guess its a bit late now but if you elevated the cistern to give you more of a drop it might make things better.

It's also unusual now to have a syphon on a modern cistern but you if you do you may want to consider changing it to a flush valve.

The tc loos have a interruptible flush press an hold the flush and see what happens then, if not could be that the pan has been made faulty and that the water can't shift down the sides and just comes out the front and back

not a plumber or electricin that has stolen the title ? Well dunno what to say so I will just :D :D :D

Elevate the cistern to 6 foot and fit a long flushpipe - better still fit a cast iron well bottom cistern - very little to go wrong with them - even I can understand how they work

moving from a 9litre to a 6 litre flush is the likely cause. I guess its a bit late now but if you elevated the cistern to give you more of a drop it might make things better.

It's also unusual now to have a syphon on a modern cistern but you if you do you may want to consider changing it to a flush valve.

Huh!
You clearly aren't a plumber and don't know what you're talking about. It's impossible to lift this cistern and the problem is a common one, as it was before the change from 9 to 6 litres. Many 6 litre loos work perfectly well, it's just a question of design. Any half-decent plumber can tell by looking at them whether they'll work ot not.

You "answer" rather a lot of questions displaying your lack of knowledge. It doesn't help.

I'm a C.Eng too and can tell you it's completely irrelevant to matters like this.

Conbutts - take the damned thing back - it's not fit for purpose.

Huh!
You clearly aren't a plumber and don't know what you're talking about. It's impossible to lift this cistern and the problem is a common one, as it was before the change from 9 to 6 litres. Many 6 litre loos work perfectly well, it's just a question of design. Any half-decent plumber can tell by looking at them whether they'll work ot not.

You "answer" rather a lot of questions displaying your lack of knowledge. It doesn't help.

I'm a C.Eng too and can tell you it's completely irrelevant to matters like this.

Conbutts - take the damned thing back - it's not fit for purpose.

I am aware the cistern cannot be elevated which is why I said it might be a bit late now. I can see the cistern is close coupled but if the purchaser had bought one with a flush pipe originally then this problem may not have arisen. Please read replies and try not to misinterpret before getting on your moral high horse.

Why don't you explain why the head height is irrelevant?

If the cistern was elevated he/she would have more head, the net velocity on the bowl would be higher. There is a hydraulic limit so raising it beyond a certain height will have less effect because of the fanning friction factor in the pipe but in my opinion it would be more effective at washing the waste away.

Non plumber here.

The reason the cistern cant be lifted much higher is because the flush
button is on the top.

You'd have to take a step-ladder into the toilet to reach it! :D

there could be a few problems,, there could be a part blockage which would cause the problem,, is the vent blocked ??,the toilet looks very similar the the band q one which is not the best of flushes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back