Toilet upstairs flushing but not pulling contents down

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The toilet upstairs is flushing all ok, problem is when you put even one slight bit of paper in it, flush it and it wont go down. (the water goes down but not the paper and it doesnt fill this pan as if there is a blockage)

I have put a toilet auger down the pan and no blockage, been in loft to the vent pipe and done the same and still no blockage.

Bath and sink drain ok and downstairs toilet is ok also.

It seems when you flush the toilet the water makes a swirling motion all around the pan if you understand, rather than swirl to the front part, dunno if this is making sense to you.

Ok so can anyone suggest anything?? what can the problem be.

The toilet used to work fine.

Sponsored Links
Swirling and no evac.= Old Syphonic pan.name if available or pic would be good .......parts are sometimes available .........60`s installation or earlier :?: ;) Might even be a sticky on it ...pun not intended :rolleyes:

I think syphonic WCs are great, very quiet and efficient. I had one in my first house, it cost more than the rest of the bathroom put together.

I understand they aren't available any more.

No the toilet is only max 10 years old, new house, new build not sure of make.
Its wall mounted (bottom screwed to floor as well) with the cistern hidden behind the wall and flushing handle on the wall

Could there be a blockage further down causing it or anything else that comes to mind??

Sponsored Links
Have a look in the cistern then. Is it briskly emptying when you flush, right down to the bottom?

If you tip a large bucket of water into the pan, does it flush away well?

Do you have guests or small children in the house?

Twyford Advent I think is the make, or its like it..

Not at home so cant try them things, When I do try what should I look for and what should I expect to be happening. Say if the cistern water goes quickly or slowly?
or if the bucket of water manages to flush away as normal, or if it doesnt?
etc etc...
No kids or guests...

Thanks for your help by the way.

I am thinking...

the syphon might be worn out to that the water does not flush vigorously, and/or does not empty the cistern completely. This is a wear and tear thing and very common, I'd get a flapper valve if I were you.

or if you tip a bucket of water in the pan...
- if it flushes effectively, then it's probably the cistern or connector or rubber socket causing a poor flush (upstream problem)
- if it doesn't flush well and drains slowly, then there's perhaps a blockage or constriction in the trap (downstream problem)

or small children might have poked something down the loo

try a couple of things;

if you have a rim block on - take it off - countless times I've been out to wcs not flushing and its been that

have a look at where the flush pipe goes into the back of the pan, there might be a bit of a blockage there

try cleaning out the underside of the rim

hope the cistern isnt boxed in too well :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back