Good value DGUs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just picked up some DGU's I'm going to fit myself and wondered if I got good value for them (happy with what I paid, just curious if I need more in future).

2 * 474x1504
1 * 542x1542

4-12-4 with black spacers, standard clear toughened glass

they are all BS1279/2 no idea what's in the gap.

paid £177 inc VAT for the lot

I was quoted £95 per unit by a fitter (not sure if that included VAT and fitting though) and decided I would be better learning to do it myself ready for when others go (at least downstairs ones, not sure about externally beaded upstairs).

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes they were retail from York Glass Supplies, just ordered another from them as I missed one that had misted. They use Twinseal to make their units but Twinseal don't do retail, trade only.

Just picked up some DGU's I'm going to fit myself and wondered if I got good value for them (happy with what I paid, just curious if I need more in future).

2 * 474x1504
1 * 542x1542

4-12-4 with black spacers, standard clear toughened glass

they are all BS1279/2 no idea what's in the gap.

paid £177 inc VAT for the lot

I was quoted £95 per unit by a fitter (not sure if that included VAT and fitting though) and decided I would be better learning to do it myself ready for when others go (at least downstairs ones, not sure about externally beaded upstairs).

TIA

A quick quote from my guy...

£85 trade
£162 retail inc vat

What were you quoted £95 per unit for by a fitter, was it to supply and fit?

A quick quote from my guy...

£85 trade
£162 retail inc vat

What were you quoted £95 per unit for by a fitter, was it to supply and fit?

I would assume supply and fit but he wasn't very clear, £85 trade, wish I could have got them for that! Still saved myself some money fitting them myself, and there are 9 more of the same age that can mist and need replacing so even more in the future by learning to do it myself.

thanks

Sponsored Links
£95 per unit fitted, nice work if you can get it lol!

What are they into....being 20mm i assume ali, or possibly very old pvc?

Arghhh not the dreaded wickes conservatory, have the units got that silly black swiggle strip spacer bar in?

I once worked for a national glazier that bid and won the contract to change every single unit in wickes conservatories, roofs and sides, it was a while ago but i believe there was a big court case because of those dodgy units

Not sure what a swiggle strip is, but this is what the spacer looks like, I'm guessing from what I was told and the code on the bar that they were put in around 93 so not too bad going considering only 4/6 (think the doors have been done already) out of 12 have gone.

View media item 48507
Once these are done the next step is to track down replacements for the long packed up and long gone bust intersolar solarvents, it was 45degrees plus in there today!

Swiggle strip is like a strip of bitumen thats folded in the corners and used to form the cavity, it has desicant built into it, problem with it was on real hot days it started to melt and run down the glass within the cavity, its been know to completely seperate from the glass in extreme cases.

Horrible horrible stuff, most bars are made from ali now for a 'C' rated frame, 'A' rated frames will use a plastic bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back