Grades of Copper Pipe?

SMG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently inspected all my pipework & have discovered a section of 15mm copper pipe, in between my 22mm main stop tap & my 22mm home supply. This length of pipe is about 50 feet long. It goes from the front of the house to the rear.

I want to replace this with 22mm. I have seen some on e bay & am curious to know if there are different grades of pipe,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Tu...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item19b7c97017

Any advice would be appreciated.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You dont state the routing of the pipe!

If its in a cavity under the floor then a blue polythene plastic water supply would be best and probably cheaper.

Insulate any pipe in this location.

The only downside of plastic pipe is that if you starve your rats the might chew it in desparation!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I did think of blue pipe, but although it initially runs under the floor, it will route up through a false wall & over the dining room & kitchen floors. The pipe I`m looking at has no kitemark or grade.

From what you say I would still advise you to use blue poly.

Copper pipe should be to the appropriate standard. The reality is that apart from the ease of bending it has little relevance. Regardless of what may or may not be stamped on the pipe there is no guarantee the pipe complies!

There has been some substandard 2.5 mm mains cable being sold recently which is actually less than 2.5 sq mm! I expect there is also fake copper pipe around as well.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, yes, & in all probability it would end up on flea bay, just waiting for a sucker, (me), the alkathene pipe is defiantly cheaper, but I think I would prefer to pay the extra for copper. I think I`ll look for a branded & kitemarked pipe.

EDIT.

No Bugger it, I will go with the MDPE, I can route it a different way & insulate it well.

Thanks.

What do you see as advantage of copper for this?

Apart from the cost saving of plastic it has lower heat loss. I appreciate that you may not see that as important but anything you can do to prevent freezing of mains supplies passing outside the thermal envelope of the building is surely an advantage?

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
I forgot to say that if it did freeze then the plastic would accommodate the 4% increase in volume without bursting!

Thanks, I can lag & lay this pipe under the floor, then under a new concrete floor which is under construction, I can lay a drainpipe under the concrete & thread the MDPE through it, so, if needed, it can be replaced at any time. Do you reckon this will be OK?

Oh, & I will run a new earth cable alongside.

Water Regs say that supply pipes must be accessible.

That requirement can be met by placing inside a duct from which the pipe can be withdrawn.

Tony Glazier

• Thanks
Reactions: SMG
Apparently this pipe is suitable for running under the lower floor, my existing MDPE pipe also runs a short distance under floor, so I will be extending it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back