Grass Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My newly seeded lawn is going patchy with some areas going yellow. The grass is growing great in some areas but struggling in others.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Is it a new build? Often caused by rubble etc dumped in the garden.

Builders have been burying waste under an inch or so of topsoil since Roman times ;)

No its an older property with decent soil. There is no pattern to the yellowing areas, just random? Disappointing as its all new seed and was hoping for a lush new lawn.

Its probably worth sharpening your mower and feeding the lawn first to see if it improves.

Any chance of a wider photo showing the whole lawn or at least a few metres of it.

Sponsored Links
Grass needs food water sunlight and decent soil and not cutting too short!

If its not happy in areas then it could be rubble buried. If there is no rubble, is the soil shallow there or is it compacted? You could use a fork and test.

Have you been watering the grass?

Not enough food, did you spread any feed before seeding, if so was it evenly spread? You could try a not too strong liquid feed on the yellowing areas, if the soil is well moist.

Tips:
Never cut grass too short especially in dry periods, grass needs to photosynthesise, if cut too short it has no leaves therefore cannot and will die.

If you dig up worms anywhere else in the garden move them to the lawn, worms are fantastic at looking after soil.

No i layed the seed straight onto the soil. Can you recommend a good lawn feed?

Ive forked the areas that seem to be struggling incase the ground is too compact and i think i will try a liquid feed next.

We have had a dry period but i watered it everyday.

I bought a box of growmore from Homebase as they had a BOGOF offer, but I use any basic general fertiliser or you can use any lawn food.

use a specific grass fertilizer. it should be much higher in nitrogen than a normal growmore 777.

Most grass fertilizers will be in granule form but you should be able to get a liquid type if you dont have a spreader.

I asked because it looks very much like a lawn where a dog has been doing its business. You then get patches with too much nitrogen which stunts growth. If it has been going on the ground before you seeded it that may be the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back