Gravel front drive (pics supplied!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ive just hired out a Kango and and about to start work on my driveway. Decided to use 20mm gravel, as there is a slight incline i thought this would move less than 10mm shingle correct?

1st shot is a side view of garden slope just to demonstrate incline, im hopin it doesn't slope too much.

Was gonna kango groove along where driveway meetsa pavement, so there's a deep trench to hold gravel/prevent spillage. And along front door and near garage. Any comments/ observations questions welcome.

garden1.jpg

garden2.jpg

garden3.jpg

Sponsored Links
I expect gravel will be over the road all the time, it likes to go for walks. What about doing a proper bed and using limestone chippings. They're much more stable.

HMm ok even 20mm shingle? Okay why does it move less than shingle? looks smaller?

Is it as cheap as golden 20mm shingle?

it looks like something you'd use in a graveyard :confused:

Sponsored Links
You also use grass in a graveyard, .................:rolleyes:.

The limestone chippings come in various sizes, and are rough so this helps them to stay in place. There is also the lime that gets washed off the chippings which tends to bind everything together.

I agree with Oilman. The use of limestone will prevent them from being spilled across the road as they do not tend to get stuck within tyre treads etc, they are heavier so do not move as easily & also they do not flow as easily (like Oilman says) so tend to stay insitu

okay im just not sure about how bright it would be very white wouldn't it.
Anyway like i said i was thinking of using small pea shingle which does get stuck in shoes tyres etc? 20mm golden shingle thought it wouldn't stick in tyres like pea shingle? And move less?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

masona said:
Where does all the rainwater goes to?

Through the shingle and drains away underneath?!

please note 10a which is here

The limestone I've seen loses it's brigntness quickly as lichens and such grow on it. When I go to peoples houses where they have shingle, I curse them, it's awful stuff to walk on. I hope they break their ankles.

Any loose material for driveways is a no no as far as i'm concerned. Its too obviously a 'cheap fix' and doesn't look good unless you have a mansion with huge drive and a man to rake it every day. I know my local council have outlawed loose surface drives as any ingress to the public footpath or road is a potential hazard. How about some nice tarmac by your local *****?

oops well ive kango'd most of the drive now, tarmac is out of the question!

Anyway i don't like tarmac (stamp feet) i like gravel, and im still not convinced 20mm stuff is gonna kick about that much, ill gladly come back on here and apologise if it does.

Well, 20mm will be better than pea shingles as 10mm stones will become a gaint litter tray!
I suppose you could bed some stones into a 300mm wide cement base on the front line to prevent stone going over the pavement. :idea:

masona said:
Well, 20mm will be better than pea shingles as 10mm stones will become a gaint litter tray!
I suppose you could bed some stones into a 300mm wide cement base on the front line to prevent stone going over the pavement. :idea:

:eek: indeed! That's a great idea, hmm how would i make the stones stick. Make a bed of concrete and just pour them across whilst it's wet?

Im gonna post more pics so you can see my progress :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back