Gravity feed (only) hot water system

Sponsored Links
Solid fuel... Your primaries from the boilerstove must be 28mm. There must be a heat leak radiator that is piped in 22mm until roughly 100mm from the radiator, then you can use 15mm, there must be no valves on the radiator so it cannot be switched off.. The feed from your F&E can be 15mm and the vent can be 22mm. your F&E must be able to withstand boiling water for 100 hours.. So the easiest solution would be a copper or stainless tank. Do not lay your pipes flat otherwise it will not work or will be a pig to make it work without a pump. You will also need back end protection to prevent your heat exchanger from rotting, unless it is stainless or copper.

Although like gas and oil, solid fuel uses fire, water and pipes, it is a very different animal and so follows different rules..

Last edited:
Solid fuel... Your primaries from the boilerstove must be 28mm. There must be a heat leak radiator that is piped in 22mm until roughly 100mm from the radiator, then you can use 15mm, there must be no valves on the radiator so it cannot be switched off.. The feed from your F&E can be 15mm and the vent can be 22mm. your F&E must be able to withstand boiling water for 100 hours.. So the easiest solution would be a copper or stainless tank. Do not lay your pipes flat otherwise it will not work or will be a pig to make it work without a pump. You will also need back end protection to prevent your heat exchanger from rotting, unless it is stainless or copper.

Although like gas and oil, solid fuel uses fire, water and pipes, it is a very different animal and so follows different rules..
I am trying to piture what you are saying, the radiator is for 15mm pipe size
I did google image for central heating https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=i...XTgNLSAhWlLcAKHXZLBYQQsAQIGQ&biw=1252&bih=602
There are diagrams but nothing for a gravity feed system

I'm sorry but I think it is unwise for me to give you any more help on this as I fear that you are going to hurt yourself.. This project is more than you are capable of.

Sponsored Links
If you can't understand the post about the size of primary pipework then you are going to struggle. Solid fuel can be a dangerous business.

It is not about transhing a thread... Whatever that means.

Last edited:
I have just worked it out now and it is so simple
Hand my water bottle (the one with the tap on the bottom) over the fire radiator/ heat exchange, conect a pipe from the top of the rad to the tap on my bottle and leave the top of the bottle open and the pipe on the bottom end of the rad make it longer then the bottle for air inlet and there we have the rad and the bottle are now one big tank together.
Hot water will rise from the rad up through the pipe into the bottle as they are now all one.

Just think I worked that all out by myself with no ones help with no internet with no compute or calculator
So go ahead and trash this thread now

Hand my water bottle (the one with the tap on the bottom) over the fire radiator/ heat exchange, conect a pipe from the top of the rad to the tap on my bottle and leave the top of the bottle open and the pipe on the bottom end of the rad make it longer then the bottle for air inlet and there we have the rad and the bottle are now one big tank together.
Hot water will rise from the rad up through the pipe into the bottle as they are now all one.

Just think I worked that all out by myself with no ones help with no internet with no compute or calculator

We will let you know once we have translated the gibberish into something resembling English ;)

That set up, as I think has been described, won't start or sustain natural circulation.

Nozzle

We're all very happy for you... Good luck

If a plate heat exchanger is large enough it can do gravity hot water circulation. Two loops: from boiler to plate and from plate to cylinder. This may be helpful.

Got one for sale that will do that... Plumbcenter sell them at around £1200+vat, but you can buy mine for only£950 brand new

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back