Gravity feed radiator not heating

ChrisR
Many commercial systems use secondary water in this way so as to provide year round heat to towel warmers ect. Yes the rads are of different materials to stop the rot!!
Not saying this is def the case here, just trying to decipher the posts!!
Rad used to be as hot as the water?
Hot water tank next to bathroom?
The bathroom radiator is not part of the main heating. It runs direct from the hot water tank so is always hot (used to be always hot!) whenever the boiler is on ... which is all the time.
If this is a secondary fed rad, and a steel replacement has been fitted then granted we are wasting our time :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Many apologies for the late reply. I didn't receive notification of the last few posts until just now.

Chris, I don't know what to say in response to your "psychic" post. :( All I can do is report the facts. If we got the wrong sort of radiator it was only because the wrong sort of radiator had served us fine for many years.

Thanks for your contributions krispy. Your suggestion about a possible secondary pump is helpful. It would be logical to suppose that there had been one, that it failed and that was when we lost the heat in the radiator, though when the plumber replaced the pipes and the radiator he didn't mention anything about a pump. He says he doesn't know why the problem occured or why the new pipes and radiator haven't resolved it.

We are really grateful for the help you have all given. Wiser now, :) we are going to recall the plumber and present him with all your suggestions. I will let you know the outcome.

With thanks and best wishes all round ...

Yeldua

Sorry my promised follow up is so long delayed. Not able to get the original plumber back we finally called in another. He diagnosed the problem as the very limited flow caused by the thermostat/tvr. He removed the thermostat and changed the valve. It's a bit of a blow that we've had to lose the thermostat but, at least we now have heat. :D

With thnaks again ...

Yeldua

The psychic bit comes in when the first thing I suggested in the first few words of my first post in reply to your first post hasn't been addressed, yet turns out to be the cause of the problem.

Krispy do you seriously think somebody would add a pump to a gravity system just to heat one radiator :eek:? This is clearly NOT a commercial system!

Yeldua you CAN have a thermostatic rediator valve on your radiator, you just need the right type. It's a pity you've had a string of dumb plumbers who don't know what they're doing.

Sponsored Links
Apologies Chris. :( I didn't realise that I hadn't mentioned when we spoke with the original plumber he assured us he had already checked that the flow from both sides was fine.

What is the right type of tvr?

Yeldua

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back