Gravity or Mains fed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking to install a bar termostatic shower. I have a an eletric shower at the moment. It is fed by a single cold water pipe from the cold water tank up in the loft.

My question is how do I find out if it is a gravity system or a mains system? If its gravity I would obviously require a pump to increase water flow!

I would appreciate any advice. I allready have the new shower unit to go in.

regards

actnow

Sponsored Links
you can shut your main stopcock and see if flow stops to all your taps.
if all your taps stop its mains if only the kitchen cold its gravity.

an electric shower is usually fed on high-pressure mains. If you have a hot cylinder and a cold water tank in the loft, the hot water will be low-pressure from a tank.

Be aware that you can't put high-pressure cold and low-presure hot through a shower mixer as you will be unable to control the temperature, and you may get cold water flowing up the hot pipe and causing overflows.

you can shut your main stopcock and see if flow stops to all your taps.
if all your taps stop its mains if only the kitchen cold its gravity.

Alternatively, put a bung into the cold water tank outlet and see which taps stop running.

Sponsored Links
I thank you all for the help. I will go straight away and test the system. I would rather get it right than flood the place.

Regards to you all

actnow061260

just switched of the main under the kitchen sink. No water flow from the kitchen sink its self, all other taps were running hot and cold. That would mean its a GRAVITY FED SYSTEM!

Superb better get the pump then to get a real shower :D

Thanks People for your help

actnow

why make mistakes when you have wisemen/women around you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back