Grease Trap Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer any clues?

We have an old grease trap in a building, and when I cleaned the trap recently (first time in over 15 yrs!) I found that the concrete dividing walls in the trap were breaking down!?! (Basically crumbled in my hands.)

The old "kitchen" is mainly used to prepare meals for dogs. So there is grease residue from the meats. But not a lot else happens in that sink.

Someone has been putting caustic soda down the drain once a week for the last year to try to keep the drains clear.

Has the caustic soda eaten away at the concrete? Any ideas?

Jo

Sponsored Links
This sounds like a VERY old installation.

Surely its time to properly modernise it with plastic plumbing components?

Tony

restaurant grease traps.........uuuurrrrrggggghhhhhh!

makes me gag thinking about them. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Grease Digesters are the modern way :LOL: enzyme dosing ...........Wade make a range , among others

Agile said:
Surely its time to properly modernise it with plastic plumbing components?
Heaven forfend! Surely copper is the only proper material to be using?

Thanks for all the posts guys!

Yes, very old installation. I think the house is crica 1960.

No, I don't want to replace the plumbing. ... I want to replace the building!!! (Not worth spending good money on it!)

Yes, it did stink ... and I had to clean it out by hand!!! Ick! Fortunately I have very little sense of smell, so it wasn't that bad.

BUT ... still not sure what ate away at the concrete? Any ideas?

Jo

Look out!

We don't want another copper vs. plastic thing.

At long last - someone who knows how to abbreviate the word 'versus'. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back