Green oak or soft wood posts for flat roof canopy (duplicates merged)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Green oak or soft wood posts for flat roof canopy

For a 3.7mx4.7m
Flat roof with epdm
10 9x2 joists at 400 centres
Also 2 skylight panes of glass

Wall plate on house then 2 posts the other end sitting on piles and steel post bases

Do i go 8x8 green oak or 8x8 pressure treated softwood.

They wont be sitting on the ground and i will intend to male sure both have been treated with oil.

Soft wood posts are £65, each green oak posts are £150 each.

Just unsure what to go for, so advice please

Sponsored Links
Green oak or soft wood posts for flat roof canopy

For a 3.7mx4.7m
Flat roof with epdm
10 9x2 joists at 400 centres
Also 2 skylight panes of glass

Wall plate on hous then 2 posts the other end sitting on piles and steel post bases

Do i go 8x8 green oak or 8x8 pressure treated softwood.

They wont be sitting on the ground and i will intend to male sure both have been treated with oil.

Soft wood posts are £65, each green oak posts are £150 each.

Just unsure what to go for, so advice please

I’ve just bought 2 6x6 PAR oak posts for a lean-to porch, £120 each all in. Not cheap but looks miles better than a tanalised post imho. I might treat them with osmo UV oil too, to slow down the greying.
PS not sure oiling pressure treated will work.

Tbh im not bothered about the look as other timber putside i have has been stained to match window frames.

I think you can oil the pressure treated but you have to wai a bit to do it.

Its more based on will pressure treated softwood last, i cant ifind any information on this only for timber with ground contact

Sponsored Links
Green oak is very pretty. Pine is pine. Upto you. Mind you nothing pine lasts in the elements.. For example, the roman style oak washhouse in my parents garden is 150 years old and just gets prettier with age. Your call really.

I think it was more will it last another 50 60 years . Without meeding to replace as i dont want to buy the green oak if its just not needed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back