Greenland sharks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Listening to the radio this morning & they were talking about greenland sharks

they reckon that some of em are between 400 & 500 years old :eek:

think they carbon dated one that died in a fishing net & it was 410 years old ???????

oldest known living animals

Sponsored Links
I wonder how far they travel, just think how many times they could have gone round the world. On the other hand, pretty boring life swimming round like that.

yep just swimming around for 400 years plus ? pointless really (may be ?) bit like him again wa ha b :)

I reckon that shark must be a little dull witted; if all I did was swim around for 400 years, I reckon I'd have got a bit suicidal after about 150. And there can't be many other sharks out there to get friendly with either.

Still, you've got to admire nature if it can go that distance.

Sponsored Links
Apparently 32,000 of these green land sharks have been caught and killed for a specific oil that is in there liver

not sure what the specific time scale is or was on 32,000 slaughter ,

not recent ,afaik it was a good while back

there heart beat is ounce every 12 seconds , females reach breeding maturity when they get to 150 years old

Last edited:
Yes must be a bastard at times, being a suicidal fish you can't even drown yourself

scientists & pharmeucetical companies are showing a great deal of interest in these sharks .

as to why they seem resistant to cancer type deceases & other ailments associated with old age ?

Give it 5 years and they will be on the endangered species list.
Why can't people/businesses just leave them be for crying out loud!

Sponsored Links
Back