Greenstar 25SI replacement?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 14 years of never being serviced, having sentinel cleaning fluid (cannot remember which) in the system since before covid hit.
Todays problem with the boiler is that the heating side is filling to 3 bar and the PRV is letting pass, the filling key is removed so it's not that - I suspect that the cleaner has eaten away and made a hole in the DHW echanger and is letting water cold through into the heating side.
I have ordered a new DHW heat exchanger, washers and silicone grease to replace.
However we think that it's probably about time for a new boiler.

Is the 25si still produced or is there a direct replacement for it that doesn't need new piping/flu hole etc. ???

If so is there anyone on here in the Rossendale area can quote me?

Sponsored Links
There’s a few Lancs/Manc lads on here who maybe able to quote. If X800 was left in, that could rot stuff as it’s fairly aggressive.

OK well after meeting up with 2 WB engineers (one still had his WB T-shirt on lol) and some research into X800 which it turns out - according to Sentinel can be left in the system.
If I change the DHW heat exchanger and have the other HE cleaned out coz its full of 14 years of crud - a not impossible task.
Then the rest of it is good for a few more years yet.

Although I'd still like to know the cost of a new one.

Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
Well they are hardly likely to tell you the truth that it is far too aggressive and should never be left in, I for one would never use it again, never mind leave it in , it eats pump bearings for fun
I think they've changed the recipe fairly recently and it's a shadow of its former self

I think they've changed the recipe fairly recently and it's a shadow of its former self
Still would never trust it, from when it was called Ferro-quest to all the different formulas and never once have they admitted it was too aggressive, cost me a lot of money as was my choice of poison, but too many failed pumps within a week or two of using it, lost count of the amount of times they have claimed it has changed

OK further from the above, the system has been flushed through with clean water twice, not powerful but all I can do without borrowing the powerflush machine from work.
The DHW heat exchanger has been changed and the water is working OK again now without bleeding through from cold into the heating side any more.
Everything else is working except I need to get the primary heat exchanger serviced with a damn good clean - a bit that I'll leave to one of the engineers from work (hopefully at mates rates).

Cheers for the suggestions.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Not any more, seems okidoki now, water is nice & hot too.

after not being serviced for 14 years I doubt they would :)

If they will do tell me more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back