greenstar 28i junior combi condensing boiler winter advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone advise me what to do re. the boiler if I leave house unoccupied for few days in freezing temperatures? Would it be safe to have it come on on timer a couple of times, or set it to thermostat control? Am worried in case the condenser pipe freezes and then it might be dangerous when boiler comes on.........All tips gratefully received :confused:

Sponsored Links
Just set it to come on for an hour in the middle of the night when it's coldest.
Don't worry about the condensate the boiler will lock out should that freeze up.

My advice is always to leave the heating on constant with th room stat set at 5 C .

Setting for just an hour is useless as an hour later the house is freezing again. It can be VERY cold at 0530 hrs.

Mains water should be off at the stop valve and any loft tank drained and all taps left turned on !

Somebody with a key should come and check every few days for breakins etc.

A timed light to imply occupation is adviseable!

Tony

I'm in agreement with Agile on this, set roomstat to 5 degrees, leave heating on. Some boilers and some controllers have built-in frost stats, which automatically kick in, so long as there's electricity and gas on to the boiler.

It will use only a little fuel, and will be vastly cheaper than a freeze.

(I'm currently doing winter frost protection for about 150 different offices and industrial units)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for your advice! just one more question-should I turn off the water at the mains if it is a condenser boiler? wasn't sure whether it needed water to work?

You can safely turn off the water at the mains. The boiler and radiators will stay filled. The only thing that will change is that no water will be going to the hot tap, which is fine, you don't need hot tapwater.

So. set the thermostat to 5 degrees, leave the boiler on, and it will look after itself.

Oh. and handyman's right too. Lag the condensate pipe if you can. Any diy store will sell foam pipe-lagging. Get the thickest you can find, and tie or tape it on The condensate pipe is probably 22mm, 3/4 inch diameter.
I use cable ties. (zip ties).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back