Greenstar Heatslave Oil Boiler - Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had an oil boiler fitted about six months ago ( Worcester Bosch Greenstar Heatslave 18/25). Since getting it I've noticed a very slight oily smell from it. It's generally only possible to smell it if the boiler cupboard is opened and then only from the top of the boiler near where the warm air is rising. Is this normal for an oil boiler or should there be no odour at all. I'm afraid I'm used to gas where there is no smell at all. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers, James.

Sponsored Links
Think if you're sensitive you may get a teeny whiff - teeny though. And the problem with heating oil is the residue smell stays with you - so if you had a leak and mopped it up, it'd be a while before it went. Ie, it'd smell a bit after installation.

I had a small smell and after going mad trying to locate a leak found a weep at the back of the burner. Fixed that and I can't smell anything. But some people, I know, are more sensitive.

I always quote for an external boiler. Never a problem with those.

I would hope that they have installed a balance flue system and
therefore all air and combustion gases are isolated from
the room.

If they did a poor install they probably installed some open flued system
that is using air from the room. They will can smell a bit.

Sponsored Links
you may have an oil leak. when the boiler runs the oil vaporizes and that causes the smell. Get the installer back to check it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back