Greenstar Junior 28i problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My parents had a Greenstar junior 28i installed 2 years and 6 months ago.
System was powerflushed before installation, and serviced every 12 months.
Well known Corgi company installed it.
Over the last few months the hot water has been running hot for a few minutes then cold, then hot again. As a result you cannot run a bath.

My parents took out BG Homecare contract. Called them up, guy came round and said the heat exchanger was knackered.
I cant believe that a supposed premium product has failed 6 months out of the warranty period.
The BG engineer also said my parents should install one our their Hydraflow electronic scale inhibitor (for the princely sum of £170).

Now, from what I have read, they is no evidence that these things actually work which I find scandalous that BG can try and push a product with no actual benefit.

Can anyone suggest the cheapest way to get this heat exchanger fixed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Scrap the BG policy and find a good independent or pay Worcester for a fixed price repair.

From what you say it would appear the secondary heat exchanger is clogged with debris. This is normally on the system side and a scale reducer makes no difference. What location is the boiler?

Be aware that your "premium product" was overpriced and is a dog to work on like most Worcesters; most boiler repairers don't like them. However, debris in the heat exchanger is more due to poor installation/cleaning.

Hi,

The boiler is in the kitchen.
I spoke to WB and they said £285 for supply and fit.
Does this sound a fair price?

Also, is there anything to stop this happening in the future?

Sponsored Links
my advice stick with bg. let them fit the filter, if it happens again you could say i had the filter so it should be covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back