Grey soft crumbly render under plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just removed all the kitchen tiles in a late 70's flat and they've pulled off the plaster and a soft grey crumbly render underneath, which just crumbles away if you press hard on it (trying to find a sound edge where it is bonded to the clinker block walls)..........what is this material or is it just crap render?

Sponsored Links
That's quite possibly old Carlite Browning onto Breeze Block. A photo would be handy, but that's what it sounds like. Either way, if it's as bad as you say, it's better taking it off. What's your plan for the wall/s anyway?

Thanks or your reply, i'll re tile over a lot of it but some will be seen. If it is old carlite browning it's incredibly light when you pick a big chunk that's fallen off - does that sound about right?

I would go with what rc says and if its coming off in "chunks" and you are going to re-tile then have it all hacked off and put it back on with a sand and cement mix (with lime if you want) then skim it then tile it,, ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks roy c, it wont need a lot of hacking - bloody stuff practically jumps off the wall, still cant believe how light and soft it is though.

'scuse the interruption but Roy - why would you skim it if you're going to tile it?
And - what if it were a wet area?

thanks

'scuse the interruption but Roy - why would you skim it if you're going to tile it?
And - what if it were a wet area?

thanks
l said skim the lot as redgolf said there will still be a section of wall that will be seen.So skimming the lot would be better than trying to skim the areas that are left when tiled. But if the whole wall was going to be tiled then there would be no need to skim it, as sand and cement is ideal for tiling on. Sorry about the confusion. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back