crumbling wall needs something but what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am doing up the bathroom in a 1930's house, I had to remove two layers of tiles. The first lot came off pretty easy and the second lot had what looks like about a centimeter of render holding them on, so I used a sds tile chisel to remove it. Most of the walls came up reasonable but one internal wall is made of that dark grey breeze blocks that crumbles if you even look at it. I brushed the wall off a bit and painted it with a very watery solution of unibond to try and stop it making dust and crumbling so much. There are some deeper parts ie about an inch fallen away, where the mortar is has stayed in place fairly well.

Question now is what do I use to level it up (I want to re-tile)?

Do I use bonding plaster or render and if so what mix?

What ever I use will end up and inch or more thick in some places and only 2mm in others to cope with the crumbling left.

With what ever I use, can I fill the full depth in one go or should I do something else, like for example fill the worst bits first and let it dry, if so what would you advise using to fill with?

Another question I always wonder about is, how do you know when to use render and when to use bonding plaster?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Use bonding or hardwall , start filling out the deepest bits first ,normally go about 10mm in one go , as soon as its firm enough go again ,just keep repeating untill level .

To be safe I would use render.

River sand and cement with waterproofer also added

3 and 1 mix.

If there looks like movement in the wall (cracking) then add some lime

5:1:1 mix

Basically anything pre 1970 go with sand/cement/lime mix especially if ther is no cavity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back