Rendered wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I recently had to pull all the old plaster from a shower wall as it would seem water was getting to it through cracks in the grout of the tiles. Anyway i removed all of the damaged area and got back to the bare bricks (it was an outside wall). So I was thinking of attempting to render it myself but instead got a guy in to do it.

he put on a "scratch coat" first then applied a 2nd coat. Both were sand and cement. Anyway its been 5 days since he did it but the concrete feels soft and crumbly. If i scrap a wallpaper scraper down it loads of bits of sand cement crumble off the wall. I can actually push the scraper right into the concrete near enough up to the brick. It just sort of feels "soft" and definitely crumbly. Its not like rock hard. Infact the old plaster around it is tougher.

It also looks like it hasnt dried smooth but has a permanent granule/grainy like texture to it. If I try to scrap that grainy excess off it reappears underneath. This wall is supposed to be re tiled on but it just feels too brittle.

What would be the reason for this?

Sponsored Links
After 5 days you shouldnt be able to penetrate the render thru to the brick!

Sounds like he has skimped on the cement...get him back.

After 5 days you shouldnt be able to penetrate the render thru to the brick!

Sounds like he has skimped on the cement...get him back.

Got him back and he is sorting it now. Claims it was an old bag of cement - though it begs the question if he knew that then why did he use it.

Sponsored Links
Old cement still goes off! its because he never put enough in the mix.

He just caused himself double work :unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back