Internal wall rendering issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently moved into a Cornish terraced house built in 1908 with half a meter thick exterior granite walls. Some internal upstairs walls are lathe and plaster and some are brick. The stonework and brickwork is very poor quality with a very crumbly lime plaster, probably made from the waste aggregate from the clay pits, you only have to look at it and it falls off on exterior facing walls. The top half of the house has been rendered using a sand/cement mix at the back with a pebble dash at the front. The bottom half is bare stone with a really poor mortar line (falling out).
I have recently stripped the walls right back to bare stone in the front bottom room and then rendered with sand and cement and then I skimmed using multi Finnish plaster. Was this the right thing to do? I know I should've asked first but I have now found an old damp issue in the rear back bedroom and want to do the correct procedure. Half the external facing wall had to come off due to the poor integrity of the lime plaster and now I need to repair it. The surface outside has been rendered with sand/cement and the wall is half a meter thick granite block with very soft lime mortar. I've stripped off the old render and found the walls very, very uneven, a whole bricks width in places.
Should I sand/cement the internal wall or use a lime render mix? I only ask as I don't want to end up with issues in the future.
The other internal walls seem pretty solid and sound but were papered and are peeling off very easily due to the lime plaster used. They are also quite rough in places and I would like to resurface them with something that will make them nice and smooth again. Any advice on these matters will be a great help.
Cheers, Mitch.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back