Grey Water Recycling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope this is the best place to ask.. the plumbing section didn't seem quite right for this.

Are there any common methods/systems of recycling grey water from a kitchen sink available?
The kitchen is quite distant from the 'wet zones' of the house, inspection chambers and toilets are on the other side. All that is required is a method of dealing with the wastewater from a single kitchen sink. Ideally, the approach does not involve laying pipework/digging things up.

Is there no way of filtering this water for use in the garden?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
One sink, remote from the main drainage, only real option would be a Saniflo, a device to pump the water away, through small bore pipework to a suitable point where it can go into the drains.

Collecting grey water for watering plants etc is ok, but you'll still need a method for dealing with the excess, and for over the winter months.

Ahh, apologies- think I misunderstood your question.

As Hugh above, Saniflo type thing is your only option (you still need small bore pipe connection to your drainage system but that's a lot easier to put in than full fat gravity flow 110mm sewage pipes.

Saniflos are not great fans of hot water though (my mother's failed regularly) so you'd be wise to have some sort of holding tank to allow the hot water to cool off and to catch the grease and crud in a grease trap (look at restaurant suppliers for them).

So you'd be looking at a maintenance-intensive solution with running costs and space and nuisance (Sanflos are not quiet).

Unless your house is surrounded by concrete (or other houses), digging new drainage in is not rocket science and not that expensive. Plus (bonus) if you put proper drainage in you could have yourself a downstairs loo or the washing machine or whatever in that wing of the house as well :)

Sponsored Links
Ahh, apologies- think I misunderstood your question.

As Hugh above, Saniflo type thing is your only option (you still need small bore pipe connection to your drainage system but that's a lot easier to put in than full fat gravity flow 110mm sewage pipes.

Saniflos are not great fans of hot water though (my mother's failed regularly) so you'd be wise to have some sort of holding tank to allow the hot water to cool off and to catch the grease and crud in a grease trap (look at restaurant suppliers for them).

So you'd be looking at a maintenance-intensive solution with running costs and space and nuisance (Sanflos are not quiet).

Unless your house is surrounded by concrete (or other houses), digging new drainage in is not rocket science and not that expensive. Plus (bonus) if you put proper drainage in you could have yourself a downstairs loo or the washing machine or whatever in that wing of the house as well :)
I would guess that either the pump your mother had was either not a Saniflo or the wrong model was used (often seen) if you had the problems mentioned.
No seperate holding tank needed and no grease trap needed as houseowners are allowed to clean them and correctly installed with a bit of know how helps with the sound level. I guess your experiance comes from a long time ago.

I would guess that either the pump your mother had was either not a Saniflo or the wrong model was used (often seen) if you had the problems mentioned.
No seperate holding tank needed and no grease trap needed as houseowners are allowed to clean them and correctly installed with a bit of know how helps with the sound level. I guess your experiance comes from a long time ago.
Ahh, fair point- yes thinking back it was maybe last century :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back