New Underground Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to lay a new section of underground drain from the back of my new extension. The purpose of which is to carry rainwater from the downpipe and waste from the kitchen sink. We have a combined rain/waste water drain so that should make things easier.

I have excavated the end of the existing clay drains. (see picture)

The Building Control Officer insists that I add an inspection chamber which is probably a good idea but the problem is, is that I am unsure of the best way to make a connection.

Is it possible to chip out the clay 'plug' at the end of the drain and connect an inspection chamber after this or would the pipe just break.

or

Would I be better to replace both branches in the picture with the inspection chamber.

I can relay the pipe to the other downpipe on my house as it is only a few feet away. The only other problem I can see then would be cutting the neighbours pipe as it is almost under the fence.

Also,
What would be the best way to connect the inspection chamber to the clay pipes? I have seen the rubber connections with jubilee type clips.

Sorry I do not have the size of the clay pipes at present.

Thanks in advance for you help!

Sponsored Links
I have formed a manhole like this in the past by cutting the pipe work with an angle grinder to make a half channel in the existing pipes. Then concrete a base and build up the brickwork around the channels.

In these instances we usually graft in a plastic pre-formed pot (osma or similar proprietary inspection chamber + risers + lid) at the junction.

If it was grafted in at the low junction then it would be close enough to pick up the higher junction on a new 45deg' angle.

You would need to cut back the pipes and fix either rubber frenco or salt glaze - plastic connectors. We tend to use both, using whichever is the most suitable.

The best thing about the fernco (jubilee clip type) is they perform better than a slip coupler, i.e. will move or slide up and down the pipe so there is no need to have any movement or connector allowance when grafting in any pipes.

Thanks for the quick replys.

Yes it was the pre formed-plastic inspection chamber I had in mind.

When you say grafted on at the low junction, do you mean to cut the clay pipes (one going to the road and one from next door) before the junction and replace both junctions with the inspection chamber?

Or do you mean to cut the lower junction just above the pipe to next door?

thanks

Sponsored Links
The i.c. would sit in place of the junction to next door and going to the road.

This particular pipe (going to next door) would receive the most attention as it is in a vulnerable location, so you need to be extra careful here. Cut away the collar (female end) so that you are left with a straight end. Couple the chamber onto this pipe orientating the chamber so that it lines up with the one going down the road. Then deal with the connection to the road. Deal with anything upstream last.

The chamber bottom will be equipped with a 45 degree offshoot so that it will comfortably connect onto the one going next door as well as line up with the road.

Hey where did my post go ?
Apologies to noseall In my haste I was giving slow a pat on the back for giving out a concise answer, when in fact it came from Noseall, who actually does know his onions.
I thought it to good to be true, (mental note to oneself)must lay off the poteen on a thursday afternoon.

Hey where did my post go ?
Apologies to noseall In my haste I was giving slow a pat on the back for giving out a concise answer, when in fact it came from Noseall, who actually does know his onions.
I thought it to good to be true, (mental note to oneself)must lay off the poteen on a thursday afternoon.

Hey Sue, How's the still? :p :LOL:

Its SUSAN to you sir....what day is it ?

It did exist once then I didnt dream it.

Dearest shytalkz, I do believe my rather clever ditty would be lost on slow, and his merry band, but I see you are on the ball, what an era what a label, swallow dives and suede heads and 18 hole Docs, Watneys party sevens and Vesta curries with currants in.

Herr Oberfuher Moderator...That was not a weird post, that was an extremely clever play on words cherry picking some of the very best releases from the early 70's imortal "Trojan" record label.
At least one man was cool enough to get it,
Mr Mod do you own a copy of Catcher in the rye and an Armalite by any chance ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back