Clay Drain Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could advise what I need to buy to replace this damaged section of clay pipe which ensures rainwater from the guttering down spout doesn't splash onto the house itself.

As you can see from the close up picture there appears to be a black plastic collar which looks like it is normally found on pvc pipe although on further inspection the underground pipe appears to be clay as well.

I expect no matter what I buy I'll need to extend the down spout into the drain but i was wondering if someone with a better knowledge of underground drains could advise me what to buy to replace the damaged clay section.

Thanks,

Russ

Sponsored Links
Cut the broken clay section just below ground level and fit a rainwater gully cover (plastic, metal, glazed clay) of your choice, now fit a plastic offset bend like this - View media item 59747 - this will divert the water away from the building into the drain, neat and tidy also you can catch any leaves before the enter the drain run...pinenot

The clay pipe looks like Hepworth 'Supersleve', commonly available at any good builders merchants. Although the pipes and fitting are vitrified clayware, the jointing collars are made of plastic.

For ease of DIY, I would remove the broken clay, (wear suitable gloves as it can be razor sharp!!!!), and gently lever off the collar from the pipe below. Carefully dig some of the soil away to give yourself room to work.

You then have a choice, either replace the collar you've removed with a rainwater adaptor for Supersleve and extend the downpipe to suit, or replace the collar with a Supersleve to 110mm plastic collar, then add a stub of 110mm plastic pipe, with a 110mm plastic to downpipe adaptor on the top to accept the downpipe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd actually seen the adapter woody posted on Screwfix and thought that might well do the job but wanted confirmation. I believe I also have some downpipe in the garage. Fingers crossed it should be an easy enough job.

Thanks for the replies.

Russ

Fitted the rubber adapter as linked in woodsy post yesterday. Item fitted a treat and we now have a much neater looking down spout.

Thanks a lot.

Russ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back