Grid switch/fcu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking into options of using grid switch's instead of an fcu. From what I have read the switch's need to be easy to get to. Being unable to find a fused grid switch would it be possible to use this for the switch.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/47279...ckets/MK-Grid-Plus/20A-DP-1-Way-Switch-Module

then have this going through

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74950...hes-Sockets/MK-Grid-Plus/13A-Fuse-Unit-Module

with fused changed to suit appliance.

The fused unit would be consealded.

Would this be ok for use in a kitchen.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I see nothing wrong with it. As to fuse size this depends why the fuse it there.

When we feed a single socket as a spur off a ring main because there is a fuse in the plug will are not required to fuse down. But it we have more than one outlet the we fuse down so limit the max current in cable. The fuse in any plug is to protect the cable not the appliance. Although it will also give some protection.

Only with fixed appliances like extractor fans, built in ovens, built in hobs, immersion heaters, wall lights etc will the fuse in the FCU need to match appliance rather than cable.

This is because any appliance sold here can also be sold in the rest of Europe where they do not use fused plugs. So any appliance which is used in Europe which needs a fuse should have the fuse inside the appliance and should not rely on the fuse in the plug.

This is theory and in practice we still select the correct size as easier to change the one in plug than open appliance and for items like electric drills it may save the appliance.

Hi russellellwood, I appreciate this is a VERY old thread and you are probably no longer posting, but just wondered if this worked for you?

I'm looking to create a double switched FCU plate i.e. 2 x dp switches + 2 x FCU's. I could purchase 2 x switched FCU's and install against 2 x single back boxes, but I think a single double plate would look better!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back