grinding noise from boiler - what is it please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We woke up this morning to a grinding, squeaky noise coming from our old "Fer Industrie" combi boiler and no heating or DHW. Upon taking the cover off it appeared that the noise was emanating the fan in the top right hand corner (see pics with red arrow pointing to part). The little fan associated with the motor there was turning intermittently at best but the solenoid associated with it is humming constantly. I hoovered the dust around it and put a few drops of oil as close to the axle as I could but there was no improvement.

Can someone please tell me:
Is this indeed a fan associated with the flue? Are they easily taken out and inspected? Can I do this myself as someone who regularly does a bit of DIY? Or should I ask a plumber to switch the fan for a new one? How much can I expect to pay for that?
Any other advice on how to properly diagnose the problem and potentially fix it. Our flat is on the market and I'd rather not invest in a new boiler!

Thanks!

42000_41211_10679_19557234_thumb.jpg

42000_41211_10680_23488555_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
u can check the resistance on the L N terminals also checking that u have 240v on the fan. check the manual if u have it. or u could pull the tube that goes to the pressure switch and lightly blowing down that to activate the switch and if the bolier fires up u have your problem. if the fan is making a grinding noise then its kinda of an indication that its not in the best of health. you should get a gas safe engineer to change the fan as your breaking into the combustion chamber. hope that info helps. as for price its getting the part what ever it cost and maybe 80 90 to change it inc call out.

Thank-you. I checked and the fan poles are showing 240V.
If the fan needs to be replaced, and given that my boiler is an old one of an obsure make (Fer Industrie), are these fans common among boilers or are they supplied by the boiler's manufacturer? I'm asking because I dread having to replace the entire boiler... Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't find much on "Fer Industrie" on the net unlike other boiler makes so I assumed it might be hard to source parts for an old boiler of theirs. So my question is, are these fans common among various boiler manufacturer or if am I potentially going to have to replace the entire boiler?

its definately a ferroli, can spot one of those turds a mile off.

bet there isnt much of a data badge to tell you the model or GCN. if you do find either i can find the fan part number for you.

Fans are usually around £100 to buy.

If the rotor turns freely then its a magnetic fault and the coil is likely to be getting rather hot.

However the grinding is likely to be failed bearings or so badly worn that a rotating part is touching onto something.

Tony

apologies, i forgot all about this.

boiler GCN is 4738101

fan GCN is 372241 or manufacturers part, 39800440.

looks pricey :eek:

Thanks Nickso and Agile. I looked up the fan with a plan to purchase it but just before payment I figured I might as well make a last ditch attempt at fixing the problem by removing the old fan, taking it apart, cleaning it (you wouldn't believe the pile of dust I extracted from it!) and oiling everything in sight. That seems to have done the trick as the boiler is now running like a dream and much quieter than even before the fan seized. Thanks for all the help!

Start saving up because normal oil will not last long with a combustion fan.

yeh but it might last long enough to sell the flat.

Exactly Nick ;) It's summer now and the only demand placed on the boiler is from DHW, so fingers crossed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back