Gripfill - use & curing time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have used my first gripfill in a hole to help secure rawlplugs today......

Can someone please tell me how long it is before it cures hard as it does not say anything about curing/drying time on the tube.

Also, I stuck a nail in the nozzle when I had finished, will I still be able to use the rest of the tube tomorrow?

How much do you put in a drilled hole when putting plugs in also?

IS this stuff like the nonails but better?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
err... its "gripfill" the general purpose "sticks like poo to a blanket" glue.

Other than that I know nothing, I'm a gripfill newbie :D

can't help then. I use cheaper alternatives which are water based. To keep then fresh in the tube, I clean the nozzle with a wet sponge, and put water in the cap before screwing it on. Amazingly, this keeps an open tube fresh for weeks. The first bit may be a bit wet when you use it again though, but it saves you having to throw away part-used tubes.

I mostly use it in screw-holes. If you wash the dust out with water, the brickwork is moist so it takes hours to set. If you leave dust in the hole, it will stick to the dust not the brick, which is not much good. In screw holes, you put the nozzle deep into the hole so it fills from the back. You need enough so that when you push the plug in, it presses out all round the plug, up to the surface of the wall. Trial and error gives you the hang of it. Smooth it off level with the wall, using a wet finger, or slightly below the surface if you are going to use filler and redecorate

For sticking things to walls, e,g, conduit before plastering, or skirting, I use a nail or clip or wedge to hold them in place while it sets, and come back half an hour later or more. If you are going to use something wet like mortar, plaster or emulsion I leave it longer so it will not be softened. I understand the more expensive stuff is pretty well instant.

Sponsored Links
OK cheers John, good advice.

Anyone else know the curing time of Gripfill or pinkgrip ?

:confused: you have read the instructions on the tube, haven't you? :LOL:

also see Similar Threads at the bottom of this page.

Yes, it says nowt about a curing time.

The suggested threads below say nothing about curing time of gripfill.

Well I'd have thought 24 hrs in a dry hole and it won't come out again.
And say 2hrs to glue a couple of bits of wood together.
And yes put a nail in - it'll keep for weeks, but you might need to run a small drill down the nozzle, or use a screw to pull out any dried plugs. I've just finished one I've been using for at least a year.

OK cheers.

Now to see what uses I can put it to :D

A good tip I was shown to keep any tube adhesives like Gripfill and even caulk etc to stay good many months or longer … is to cut off a finger from a disposable glove and put it fully over the end of the tube. Squeeze about a marble sized amount into the finger and form a small ball at the end. Quick and easy to do. Keeps it all ready to go for next time. The finger slides off and can be even used again and again as it does not cure over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back