Gripper rods on stairs......?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Some time in the near future I will be getting the hall/stairs/landing carpet replaced. When it comes to doing the stairs where exactly should the grippers be? Mine are currently along the back of each step and more running at 90degrees directly above it. From what I can see it leads to a lot of loose carpet further up each individual stair. Each of my stairs has a slight lip. Should there be gripper under that too?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you should have gripper on both tread and riser. Next to the crouch. The gap should be equal between the two which should leave a gap between them about 3/4 inch the thickness of the carpet when folded double. They should finish tight to the walls if woven carpet and about 5mm gap if tufted. And also should be pinned with ring shank nails, not concrete nails on wooden stairs. ( bet you have concrete gripper down as most fitters dont seem to know the difference ) I wont say which companys these sort of fitters work for. Stick with small shop and your normally o.k! If concrete gripper down they work loose and so does your carpet. O and the gripper pins should face each other. o.k

mattysupra said:
....( bet you have concrete gripper down as most fitters dont seem to know the difference If concrete gripper down they work loose and so does your carpet. O and the gripper pins should face each other. o.k

Great thanks for that. Forewarned is forearmed. I'm hoping to use a smaller shop, it's more expensive but it has been recommended.
On carpets I've had fitted in the past they always want you to sort out the clearance of the floor and the presence of the gripper rod. Would you expect a good fitter to sort it out as part of the cost?
I'll ask them when they quote! But it's good to know in advance.

Sponsored Links
When they come around and quote they should check the gripper and underlay condition for them selfs. Then they can quote on weather you need it or not. My company always checks and if they dont pick up on problem while we quoting, well i cut my losses and replace gripper out of my own pocket. But thats the way i work! I like to keep customer happy and also leave top notch job. You always get repeat business this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back