Grit Sizes For Sanding At Various Stages Of Painting ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Would somebody please be able to provide some guidelines as to the grit sizes to use for various stages of painting.

Stage 1 - Bare wood stripped of paint with heat gun and sanded with 120 grit, next step is to prime with aluminium wood primer. Do I need to sand with a finer grit such as 180 before priming?

Stage 2 - Primed wood to be undercoated. Is 180 grit OK for a light sand of the primed coat or should I go finer to 240 grit?

Stage 3a - Undercoated ready for gloss. Is 180 grit OK for a light sand or should I go finer to 240 grit

Stage 3b - Old gloss paint, not removed but sanded with 120 grit to take off the gloss effect and provide a key. Do I need to sand with a finer grit such as 180 or 240 or is 120 OK?

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
It depends what type of abrasive paper you use.

I use silicon carbide because it keys and flats the paint, aluminium oxide tends to scratch and can affect the finish. I use aluminium oxide on heavy filling and then smooth it off with silicone carbide, i also use it on flaky paint which i want to remove, normally p90, dont think i ever use it on anything else. I rub paintwork down with 240 silicone carbide and then use a worn bit for between coat sanding. If i'm looking for a first class finish and the moneys in the job i wet abrade between coats and also wet abrade before a second coat of gloss and i use a medium grade (say 400) bearing in mind i think it goes up to around p3000.

I'd agree with you Jack, I don't like grit too fine as you can fart about all day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back