Gromit for electrical meter box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electrical meter box positioned just outside my flat in the lobby area,however the outside of the box isnt completely sealed tight,I guess this is correct to keep the cabling cool and as the box is indoors,but I have also noticed I can see through the cable penetraion from the meter box to my flat.So I end up with drafts blowing into my flat.
Should there be a gromit where the cable penetrates the wall?If so where can I get one?

Sponsored Links
Just fill it, it you think further cable might be required to go via hole you could always 'soft' fill it.

Soft fill means you can easily remove the substance used to fill, high modulus sealant, plumbers putty, paper fill and a thin skim of filler, foam etc..

As for the service box, it it's in a common area or exposed, it should be locked, and sealed for prevention of moisture, animals, hands, kids etc.
If it's shoddy take it up with either your land lord or supplier.

Thanks for the feedback.I was just worried whether I would subject the cbale to any fire risk thats all.I'll probably just do that and use some filler.

Fire was the first thing I thought of.

Not as in subjecting the cable to fire risk, but as in "surely the wall between the flat and the shared space is a fire compartment boundary and therefore shouldn't have unsealed holes in it?"

Sponsored Links
:D Thanks for that.I'll get some foam if I can afford it otherwise I might just use electrical installation tape to cover the holes.There are also 4 holes,2 either side at top and 2 either side on bottom of the side panels of the meter box.Are these holes to aid air circulation and reduce risk of over heating/fire?Can I fill these as well as they also allow cold air into my flat?

Any ideas on these other four holes?Should I be worrying about ventilation in a meter box?

I think that its time the original poster provided a photograph or two of the problem. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back