Groove/pit made in door sill by rat - how to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A door sill in an old outbuilding/shed has been seriously scrabbled at by a rat leaving an approx 1 inch deep groove (tapering off to about half an inch over a length of about 12 inches, about 4 inches wide). It also made a nice hole in the bottom of the door which I've now patched up, however I'm not sure what to use as a filler for the groove in the sill.

It doesn't need to look pretty as it's only a grotty outbuilding. The wood is ever so slightly rotten in places too but fairly firm on the whole.

Was tempted to just trowel in some concrete and smooth it out but it there a better option will will work on damp, soft wood?

My aim is just to discourage the rat from trying again.

I'm not much of a woodworker so I don't want to try and replace all or part of the sill, most of which is intact.

Sponsored Links
Scrape out loose wood then use wood filler or cheaper car filler to make good.You won’t discourage a rat.Kill it.

Last edited:
You can buy stainless steel or brass kickplates and sill covers quite cheaply. I got some on ebay and the supplier cut them to my measurements and drilled the screwholes.

Rats will gnaw through anything else, except concrete.

Sponsored Links
You can buy stainless steel or brass kickplates and sill covers quite cheaply. I got some on ebay and the supplier cut them to my measurements and drilled the screwholes.

Rats will gnaw through anything else, except concrete.

Nice idea, thanks. Who was the Ebay seller, or was this some time ago?

There is never "a" rat.

Don't recall the supplier. Look for one who cuts to order.

There is never "a" rat.

Don't recall the supplier. Look for one who cuts to order.
Thanks.

There are fields near me, I suspect that there are hundreds of rats (been like this for many years but they rarely cause me a problem).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back